Title and statement of responsibility area
St. Stephen's United Church fonds
General material designation
Other title information
Title statements of responsibility
Level of description
CA UCA Acc: 2005 - 12
Edition statement of responsibility
Class of material specific details area
Statement of scale (cartographic)
Statement of projection (cartographic)
Statement of coordinates (cartographic)
Statement of scale (architectural)
Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)
Dates of creation area
1913 - 1934 (Creation)
Physical description area
2 volumes textual material.
Publisher's series area
Title proper of publisher's series
Parallel titles of publisher's series
Other title information of publisher's series
Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series
Numbering within publisher's series
Note on publisher's series
Archival description area
Name of creator
St. Stephen's United Church existed in the Ontario Community of Fort William, now known as Thunder Bay, from 1925 to 1929. Its predecessor was the St. Stephen's Presbyterian Church, also known as the Ruthenian Mission, which was established in 1913. Rev. Walter Pyndykowski arrived in the area in May of 1913 to administer to the approximately 300 Ruthenian (Ukrainian) Protestants in the area. A motion from the Superior Presbytery on February 24, 1914 makes a recommendation that the Home Missions Committee purchase a permanent place of worship for the mission. The Ruthenian Mission acquired a small white frame building from St. Andrew's Presbyterian Church that had been used at St. Andrew's for Sunday School. The Ruthenian congregation decided to move the building to St. Paul Street, now known as Spring Street. This building was reopened and dedicated as a church on July 5, 1914. By 1917, it became regularly known as St. Stephen's. A Sunday School was also organized that year. By 1921, English night classes were being offered at the church. The manse was purchased on 330 N. Syndicate Avenue in 1922. Shortly after Union in 1925, the demographics around the Church began to change, and the congregation gradually began to decrease. The manse was being rented out to other tenants by 1928 and it was given to Wayside House the following year to be used by the Superintendent. It was then decided that any mission work for the Ukrainians could now be done through the work of a deaconess and Wayside House, so it was decided to disband the St. Stephen's congregation at the end of Rev. Dr. Anton Babiuk's contract on October 1, 1929. The church was moved next to Wayside House and was sold for $1000. The Presbyterian Church maintained ownership of the property until October 10, 1930, when it was officially transferred to the United Church of Canada.
Records of St. Stephen's United Church came to The United Church of Canada Archives-Conference of Manitoba and Northwestern Ontario as part of a transfer of records from Cambrian Presbytery in 2002.
Scope and content
The surviving records of St. Stephen's United Church include Sacramental Registers pertaining to Baptisms (1915-1934) and Marriages (1913-1929).
Immediate source of acquisition
Language of material
Script of material
Location of originals
Availability of other formats
Restrictions on access
No restrictions on access.
Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication
Item level inventory is available.
No further accruals are expected.
Standard number area
Subject access points
Place access points
Genre access points
Description record identifier
Rules or conventions
Level of detail
Dates of creation, revision and deletion
Language of description