Title and statement of responsibility area
St. Stephen's Presbyterian Church fonds
General material designation
- Textual record
Other title information
Title statements of responsibility
Level of description
Edition statement of responsibility
Class of material specific details area
Statement of scale (cartographic)
Statement of projection (cartographic)
Statement of coordinates (cartographic)
Statement of scale (architectural)
Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)
Dates of creation area
1887 - 1925 (Creation)
Physical description area
1 box textual records, approximately 80 folder;
7 bound volumes
Publisher's series area
Title proper of publisher's series
Parallel titles of publisher's series
Other title information of publisher's series
Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series
Numbering within publisher's series
Note on publisher's series
Archival description area
Name of creator
St. Stephen's Presbyterian Church existed in Winnipeg from 1895 until 1925. The predecessor of St. Stephen's Presbyterian Church was the West End Mission and the successor was Broadway United Church. The St. Stephen's Presbyterian congregation originated with Sunday School services developed by Mrs. George Murray in 1887. Mrs. Murray held classes in her home on Furby Street for two years before a mission was officially organized and a church was eventually erected. The West End Mission was constituted in 1889 with the assistance of Knox Presbyterian Church of Winnipeg. In 1892, a site was secured for the mission at Portage and Spence Street, and a church was built and dedicated. The West End Mission requested congregational status in 1893. The following year, Dr. C. W. Gordon was called and the mission was recognized as an independent congregation. West End Mission adopted the name 'St. Stephen's Presbyterian Church' in 1895. Between 1892 and 1895 the original church had to be expanded twice to meet the growing demands of the congregation. In 1903, a new St. Stephen's Presbyterian Church was built and dedicated. In April 1913, the congregation opened their church house on Young Street. St. Stephen's Presbyterian Church joined the United Church of Canada in 1925, becoming St. Stephen's United Church.
The records of St. Stephen's Presbyterian Church were donated to the archives over a number of accessions, most notably in 2010. Some records accumulated over time in the vertical file of the conference archives of Manitoba and Northwestern Ontario and were accessioned in 2002.
Scope and content
The surviving records of the St. Stephen's Presbyterian Church include sacramental registers (including baptisms, marriages and burials; 1901-1917); membership records (1894-1918); annual reports (1896-1913); board records (including session, board of managers, congregational meetings, annual meetings, deacon's court; 1906-1920); financial records (1894-1919); records of women's organizations (W.M.S. and W.H.M.; 1905-1925); records of men's groups (1915); records of outreach organizations (including church club, mission band, sabbath school; 1887-1924); records from the junior girl's mission band (1913-1917); orders of service (1904); church history material (1914, 1920); building maintenance records (1915-1920); sermons and publications (including "The Pilot"; 1904-1925) and correspondence and reports (1906-1914).
Immediate source of acquisition
Folders were organized within the box according to similarity of content. Original order of records within each folder was retained during processing. Identical duplicate copies of records were removed.
Language of material
Script of material
Location of originals
Availability of other formats
Restrictions on access
Some restrictions may apply.
Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication
Finding aid and item level inventory available.
Further accruals expected.
Standard number area
Subject access points
Place access points
Name access points
- Winnipeg Presbytery (Subject)
Genre access points
Description record identifier
Rules or conventions
Level of detail
Dates of creation, revision and deletion
Language of description