Title and statement of responsibility area
Beardmore St. Paul's United Church fonds
General material designation
Other title information
Title statements of responsibility
Level of description
CA UCA Acc: 81 - 4
Edition statement of responsibility
Class of material specific details area
Statement of scale (cartographic)
Statement of projection (cartographic)
Statement of coordinates (cartographic)
Statement of scale (architectural)
Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)
Dates of creation area
1939 - 1983 (Creation)
Physical description area
35 cm textual material.
Publisher's series area
Title proper of publisher's series
Parallel titles of publisher's series
Other title information of publisher's series
Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series
Numbering within publisher's series
Note on publisher's series
Archival description area
Name of creator
St. Paul’s United Church existed in the northwest Ontario community of Beardmore, 195 km northeast of Thunder Bay, from 1941 to 1983. It first appears as a student mission 1938 as part of the Jellicoe Pastoral charge with McDiarmid. In 1939, it became its own Pastoral charge with Jellicoe, McDiarmid, and Nezah as preaching points. A church was built by Mr. Harry Steiciuch in 1941, and held its opening service on March 2 of that year. Church furnishings were donated to Beardmore from the United Church in Ignace. The Pastoral charge became known as Beardmore-Nipigon in 1945 with Cameron Falls, Jellicoe, and McDiarmid as preaching points. The church moved onto a basement on a different lot in December of 1951. The basement was used as a community hall. One year later, the Beardmore-Nipigon Pastoral charge separated into the Nipigon-Red Rock and Beardmore Pastoral charges. The charge also included Auden from 1960 to 1970. After 1970, Beardmore became the only preaching point in the Pastoral charge. The congregation approved a motion to disband on February 26, 1983. The church and manse property was sold to the Township of Beardmore for $1.00 to be used as a community church with the congregation retaining the option from 2 years of re-purchasing it, but the option was never used. The congregation of St. Paul’s United Church transferred to the United Church in Nipigon.
The records of St. Paul's United Church came to The United Church of Canada Archives-Conference of Manitoba and Northwestern Ontario as part of a transfer of records from the Beardmore Pastoral charge in March of 1981.
Scope and content
The records of St. Paul's United Church held at the conference archives include: Sacramental Registers pertaining to Baptisms (1939 - 1982), Marriages (1947 - 1982), Burials (1949 - 1970); records of the United Church Women (1962 - 1977); records of the A.O.T.S. (1952); records of the congregation (1940 - 1983); records of the Stewards (1967 - 1971); financial records (1944 - 1981); records of the Board of Trustees (1953 - 1960); records of the Women's Association (1941 - 1962); Membership certificate stubs (1957 - 1982); Communion Rolls/ Registers (1942 - 1966); Congregational Roll (1939 - 1941); records of the Official Board (1957 - 1984); and records of the Session (1952 - 1971).
Immediate source of acquisition
Language of material
Script of material
Location of originals
Availability of other formats
Restrictions on access
Some limits on access to Baptism, Marriage and Burial Registers apply.
Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication
Item level inventory is available.
Related material: See also the Private Register of J. Cormie for Baptisms pertaining to Beardmore (1926, 1937 - 1942).
No further accruals are expected.
Standard number area
Subject access points
Place access points
Genre access points
Description record identifier
Rules or conventions
Level of detail
Dates of creation, revision and deletion
Language of description