Title and statement of responsibility area
Souris St. Paul's United Church fonds
General material designation
Other title information
Title statements of responsibility
Level of description
CA UCA Acc: 78-17; 88-22; 1999-11; 1999-76; 03-42; 05-02; 2009-24
Edition statement of responsibility
Class of material specific details area
Statement of scale (cartographic)
Statement of projection (cartographic)
Statement of coordinates (cartographic)
Statement of scale (architectural)
Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)
Dates of creation area
Physical description area
45 cm textual material +photographs.
Publisher's series area
Title proper of publisher's series
Parallel titles of publisher's series
Other title information of publisher's series
Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series
Numbering within publisher's series
Note on publisher's series
Archival description area
Name of creator
St. Paul's United Church has existed in the Manitoba community of Souris, located south of Brandon, since 1946. Its predecessors were Fifth Avenue United Church and Knox United Church, who opted to continue as two individual churches after Union in 1925. Fifth Avenue United Church was reopened and rededicated as St. Paul's United Church on December 15, 1946 after Fifth Avenue United Church (formerly Methodist) and Knox United Church (formerly Presbyterian) finally decided to amalgamate. Knox United Church's pipe organ was moved and reassembled. The Department of Nation Defense purchased the former Knox Church building in 1950. In January 1954, Riverview Church was moved into Souris and attached to St. Paul's. It was used by the Sunday School. Other renovations occurred in the church proper. St. Paul's United Church is located at 47 - 5th Avenue W. in Souris.
The records of St. Paul's United Church came to The United Church of Canada Archives-Conference of Manitoba and Northwestern Ontario as part of several transfers of records from the Souris-Elgin Pastoral charge in 1978, 1988, 1999, 2005 and 2009 and from Margaret Carter in 2003.
Scope and content
The records of St. Paul's United Church held at the conference archives include: Sacramental registers pertaining to Baptisms (1912-1959), Marriages (1911-1972), and Burials (1913-1993); Communion Rolls (1931-1959); records of the congregation (1939-2002); records of the Official Board (1950-1967); records of the Committee of Stewards (1954-1972); records of the Administration and Management Sub-Committee (1972-1986); financial records (1948-1965, 1983-1993); records of the Woman's Missionary Society (1941-1961); records of the As One That Serves (1947-1948); history (1957); records of the Session (1940-1965); records of the Souris and Deloraine District Epworth League (1912-1960); records of the Official Board (1938-1950); records of the Board of Stewards (1943-1954); records of the Sunday School (1949-1952).
Immediate source of acquisition
Language of material
Script of material
Location of originals
Availability of other formats
Restrictions on access
Some restrictions on access to Baptism, Marriage and Burial Registers may apply.
Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication
Item level inventory is available.
Related material: See also the Souris - Elgin Pastoral charge fonds for other material pertaining to St. Paul's United Church. The Pastoral charge Still Images Collection includes photographs pertaining to St. Paul's United Church.
Further accruals are expected.
Standard number area
Subject access points
Place access points
Genre access points
Description record identifier
Rules or conventions
Level of detail
Dates of creation, revision and deletion
Language of description