Fonds - Thunder Bay St. Paul's Presbyterian Church fonds

Title and statement of responsibility area

Title proper

Thunder Bay St. Paul's Presbyterian Church fonds

General material designation

Parallel title

Other title information

Title statements of responsibility

Title notes

Level of description

Fonds

Reference code

Edition area

Edition statement

Edition statement of responsibility

Class of material specific details area

Statement of scale (cartographic)

Statement of projection (cartographic)

Statement of coordinates (cartographic)

Statement of scale (architectural)

Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)

Dates of creation area

Date(s)

  • 1884-1903 (Creation)

Physical description area

Physical description

1 folder

Publisher's series area

Title proper of publisher's series

Parallel titles of publisher's series

Other title information of publisher's series

Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series

Numbering within publisher's series

Note on publisher's series

Archival description area

Name of creator

(1873-1925)

Administrative history

St. Paul's Presbyterian Church existed in the Ontario community of Port Arthur, now known as Thunder Bay, from 1873 to 1925. The first Protestant Church services in the area were held at Old Fort William and led by Rev. Alexander Topp in 1869. On May 18, 1873, Rev. D. McKerracher held his first church service for the St. Paul's congregation in the basement of the Methodist Church. Services were also still held at Old For William and at the home of Mr. J. Keller's father. At this time, Rev. McKerracher also served the areas of Prince Arthur's Landing, For, West Fort, and Silver Islet. A "Lecture Room", in which to temporarily hold services, was built on Lot 9, South Cort Street and was dedicated on December 27, 1874. The building soon became too small for the congregation, and so the services were moved into the Town Hall from 1882 to 1884 while construction on a permanent church began. The new church, named St. Paul's Presbyterian Church, probably opened in November 1884, the same time they were recognized as a self supporting congregation. A basement was put under the church in 1888. In 1909, lots were purchased by St. Paul's for a Mission Sunday School, which later grew to be Knox Presbyterian Church. A new church was built and dedicated March 1, 1914 with Rev. John McNeal of Cooke's Church, Toronto, officiating. The old church was sold March 10, 1914 and later became known as Waverley Hall. In 1919, St. Paul's also began making financial contributions towards the mission work in Current River. St. Paul's Presbyterian Church joined the United Church of Canada in 1925 to become St. Paul's United Church.

Custodial history

Records for this congregation mainly remain in the custody of the congregation of St. Paul's United Church.

Scope and content

The surviving records of the St. Paul's Presbyterian Church are largely in the custody of the St. Paul's United Church, but the following can be found at the conference archives of Manitoba and Northwestern Ontario: copy of a sermon given on June 28, 1903, which includes historical information; dated notes pertaining to the life of the congregation and the church building, including references to local Methodists, 1884.

Notes area

Physical condition

Immediate source of acquisition

Arrangement

Language of material

Script of material

Location of originals

Availability of other formats

Restrictions on access

Some restrictions on access may apply.

Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication

Finding aids

No finding aids available.

Associated materials

Related materials

Accruals

Alternative identifier(s)

Standard number area

Standard number

Access points

Subject access points

Place access points

Genre access points

Control area

Description record identifier

Institution identifier

Rules or conventions

Status

Level of detail

Dates of creation, revision and deletion

Language of description

  • English

Script of description

Sources

Accession area