Fonds 86-10; 86-28; 91-28 - St. John's Presbyterian Church fonds

Title and statement of responsibility area

Title proper

St. John's Presbyterian Church fonds

General material designation

Parallel title

Other title information

Title statements of responsibility

Title notes

Level of description

Fonds

Reference code

CA UCA 86-10; 86-28; 91-28

Edition area

Edition statement

Edition statement of responsibility

Class of material specific details area

Statement of scale (cartographic)

Statement of projection (cartographic)

Statement of coordinates (cartographic)

Statement of scale (architectural)

Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)

Dates of creation area

Date(s)

  • 1904-1925 (Creation)

Physical description area

Physical description

.5m textual records, photographs

Publisher's series area

Title proper of publisher's series

Parallel titles of publisher's series

Other title information of publisher's series

Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series

Numbering within publisher's series

Note on publisher's series

Archival description area

Name of creator

Biographical history

St. John's Presbyterian Church existed in Winnipeg from 1904 until 1925. Organisational meetings of St. John's Presbyterian Church commenced following a neighbourhood survey, commissioned by Winnipeg Presbytery in 1904, which found significant support for a Presbyterian congregation. Early services were held in the home of Mr. Polson at 94 Cathedral Avenue. A lot was subsequently purchased on the north side of Cathedral Avenue, and a church building was opened for worship in September 1904. In 1907, the church building was moved across the street and enlarged. The enlarged building was then transferred to the back of the church property in 1914, and the basement of a new church was constructed in its place. The basement would serve as the church home until the remainder of the building was completed and dedicated in the spring of 1923. A portion of the St. John's Presbyterian congregation chose not to participate in union in 1925, and remained a distinct Presbyterian congregation under the name of St. John's Presbyterian Church. The other portion of the congregation joined with St. John's Methodist Church under the United Church of Canada, becoming St. John's United Church.

Custodial history

The records of St. John's Presbyterian Church came to the conference archives of Manitoba and Northwestern Ontario as part of several transfers of records between 1986 and 1991.

Scope and content

The surviving records of St. John's Presbyterian Church are arranged in the following series: Sacramental Registers, including Baptisms, 1906-1925, Marriages, 1906-1925; and Burials, 1906-1907; Membership Rolls and records of the Session, including communion rolls, 1914-1925; records of Annual Congregational Meetings, including minutes, 1914-1925; records pertaining to the Board of Stewards and church property, including minutes, 1904-1912; and reference material, including correspondence and photographs.

Notes area

Physical condition

Immediate source of acquisition

Arrangement

Language of material

Script of material

Location of originals

Availability of other formats

Restrictions on access

Some restrictions may apply.

Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication

Finding aids

Finding aid and item level inventory available.

Associated materials

Related materials

Accruals

No further accruals expected.

Alternative identifier(s)

Standard number area

Standard number

Access points

Subject access points

Place access points

Name access points

Genre access points

Control area

Description record identifier

Institution identifier

Rules or conventions

Status

Level of detail

Dates of creation, revision and deletion

Language of description

  • English

Script of description

Sources

Accession area

Related subjects

Related people and organizations

Related places

Related genres