St. John's Presbyterian Church

Identity area

Type of entity

Person

Authorized form of name

St. John's Presbyterian Church

Parallel form(s) of name

Standardized form(s) of name according to other rules

Other form(s) of name

Identifiers for corporate bodies

Description area

Dates of existence

History

St. John's Presbyterian Church existed in Winnipeg from 1904 until 1925. Organisational meetings of St. John's Presbyterian Church commenced following a neighbourhood survey, commissioned by Winnipeg Presbytery in 1904, which found significant support for a Presbyterian congregation. Early services were held in the home of Mr. Polson at 94 Cathedral Avenue. A lot was subsequently purchased on the north side of Cathedral Avenue, and a church building was opened for worship in September 1904. In 1907, the church building was moved across the street and enlarged. The enlarged building was then transferred to the back of the church property in 1914, and the basement of a new church was constructed in its place. The basement would serve as the church home until the remainder of the building was completed and dedicated in the spring of 1923. A portion of the St. John's Presbyterian congregation chose not to participate in union in 1925, and remained a distinct Presbyterian congregation under the name of St. John's Presbyterian Church. The other portion of the congregation joined with St. John's Methodist Church under the United Church of Canada, becoming St. John's United Church.

Places

Legal status

Functions, occupations and activities

Mandates/sources of authority

Internal structures/genealogy

General context

Relationships area

Access points area

Occupations

Control area

Authority record identifier

Institution identifier

Rules and/or conventions used

Status

Level of detail

Dates of creation, revision and deletion

Language(s)

Script(s)

Sources

Maintenance notes

  • Clipboard

  • Export

  • EAC