Fonds 86-10; 86-28; 91-28 - St. John's Methodist Church fonds

Title and statement of responsibility area

Title proper

St. John's Methodist Church fonds

General material designation

Parallel title

Other title information

Title statements of responsibility

Title notes

Level of description

Fonds

Reference code

CA UCA 86-10; 86-28; 91-28

Edition area

Edition statement

Edition statement of responsibility

Class of material specific details area

Statement of scale (cartographic)

Statement of projection (cartographic)

Statement of coordinates (cartographic)

Statement of scale (architectural)

Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)

Dates of creation area

Date(s)

  • 1909-1925 (Creation)

Physical description area

Physical description

6 volumes textual material

Publisher's series area

Title proper of publisher's series

Parallel titles of publisher's series

Other title information of publisher's series

Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series

Numbering within publisher's series

Note on publisher's series

Archival description area

Name of creator

Biographical history

St. John's Methodist Church existed in Winnipeg from 1903 until 1925. Early Sunday School services of the congregation were held in home of Mrs. McCaw on Carruthers Street in 1903. In 1904 a tent was erected on the corner of Athol (now Luxton) and Main Street, and the first church services were conducted by Hugh Nixon, a student minister of Wesley College. The congregation eventually built a small church on the corner of Polson and Charles to replace the tent. St. John's Methodist Church was partly responsible for organizing the Atlantic Avenue Mission. In 1925, St. John's Methodist Church joined in union with St. John's Presbyterian Church to become St. John's United Church. The united congregation utilized the St. John's Presbyterian Church structure and the former Methodist church was eventually sold.

Custodial history

The records of St. John's Methodist Church came to the conference archives of Manitoba and Northwestern Ontario as part of several transfers of records between 1986 and 1991.

Scope and content

The surviving records of St. John's Methodist Church are arranged in the following series: Sacramental Registers, including Baptisms, 1912-1925, Marriages, 1911-1925, and Burials, 1912-1925; Membership Rolls and records of the Session, including circuit registers, 1909-1925; records of the Official Board, including minutes, 1912-1925; records pertaining to church property, including financial records c. 1921; and reference material, including photographs.

Notes area

Physical condition

Immediate source of acquisition

Arrangement

Language of material

Script of material

Location of originals

Availability of other formats

Restrictions on access

Some restrictions may apply.

Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication

Finding aids

Finding aid and item level inventory available.

Associated materials

Related materials

Accruals

No further accruals expected.

Alternative identifier(s)

Standard number area

Standard number

Access points

Subject access points

Place access points

Name access points

Genre access points

Control area

Description record identifier

Institution identifier

Rules or conventions

Status

Level of detail

Dates of creation, revision and deletion

Language of description

  • English

Script of description

Sources

Accession area

Related subjects

Related people and organizations

Related places

Related genres