Fonds Acc: 91 – 2; 1998 – 03 – 08; 1997 – 12-28; 1997- 10 – 23; 2001 – 09 – 52. - St. John's College fonds

Title and statement of responsibility area

Title proper

St. John's College fonds

General material designation

Parallel title

Other title information

Title statements of responsibility

Title notes

Level of description

Fonds

Reference code

CA DRL Acc: 91 – 2; 1998 – 03 – 08; 1997 – 12-28; 1997- 10 – 23; 2001 – 09 – 52.

Edition area

Edition statement

Edition statement of responsibility

Class of material specific details area

Statement of scale (cartographic)

Statement of projection (cartographic)

Statement of coordinates (cartographic)

Statement of scale (architectural)

Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)

Dates of creation area

Date(s)

  • 1876 - 2006 (Creation)

Physical description area

Physical description

10 cm textual material + photographs

Publisher's series area

Title proper of publisher's series

Parallel titles of publisher's series

Other title information of publisher's series

Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series

Numbering within publisher's series

Note on publisher's series

Archival description area

Name of creator

Biographical history

The Rev. John West established the first Anglican school in Red River in 1820, but the first school to bear the name of St. John was established by Bishop David Anderson in 1849. This school closed down in 1859 due to declining enrolment and a shortage of qualified teachers. St. John's College, as it is known today, was founded by Archbishop Robert Machray on November 1, 1866, primarily to train Native clergy. It was originally located in a white wooden building near St. John's Cathedral in Winnipeg. The Rev. John McLean was the first warden. St. John's College, St. Boniface College and Manitoba College amalgamated to form the University of Manitoba in 1877. The College moved to a 3 ½ storey brick building on Church and Main in 1883, and then moved to the corner of Broadway and Hargrave in 1945. A 99 year lease was signed between St. John's College and the University on October 4, 1957, and the College moved onto the Fort Garry campus a year later.

Custodial history

The records of St. John's College came to the Diocesan archives as part of transfers of records in 1990; 1991; 1992; 1997; 1998; and 2001.

Scope and content

The records of St. John's College held at the Diocese of Rupert's Land archives include: Constitution and Statutes (1876 and 1957); correspondence to Canon O' Meara (1888); documents re: sale of property in North Winnipeg (1950); records of the Building Fund (1956 – 1958); record of dedication (1959); solicitor's files (1960); changes in Statutes (1925 – 1967); list of honorary degrees and fellowships (1953 – 2006); research; and records of the College Council (1960 – 1967)

Notes area

Physical condition

Immediate source of acquisition

Arrangement

Language of material

Script of material

Location of originals

Availability of other formats

Restrictions on access

No restrictions on access.

Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication

Finding aids

Item level inventory is available.

Associated materials

Related material: Manuscript Papers of M.47 Laurence Wilmot. Library Collection: One University: A History of the University of Manitoba 1877 – 1932 by W.L. Morton; The St. John's College Story and The Christian Churches of Red River Settlement and the Foundation of the University of Manitoba – An Historical Analysis of the Process of Transition from Frontier College to University by Laurence F. Wilmot; and Protestant Church Colleges in Canada by D.C. Masters. Pamphlet Collection: "Documents Relating to St. John's College, MB" (1913); "St. John's College: the Act of Incorporation, the Constitution, the Statutes" (1957); "St. John's College 1866 – 1966". See also the Still Images Collection.

Associated material: Further records of St. John's College are located at the University of Manitoba. An item level inventory is available at the Diocesan archives. See also the Manitoba Archives.

Related materials

Accruals

Further accruals are expected.

Language of material note

The material is in English.

Alternative identifier(s)

Standard number area

Standard number

Access points

Subject access points

Place access points

Name access points

Genre access points

Control area

Description record identifier

Institution identifier

Rules or conventions

Status

Level of detail

Dates of creation, revision and deletion

Language of description

  • English

Script of description

Sources

Accession area

Related subjects

Related people and organizations

Related places

Related genres