Title and statement of responsibility area
St. Giles Presbyterian Church fonds
General material designation
Other title information
Title statements of responsibility
Level of description
Edition statement of responsibility
Class of material specific details area
Statement of scale (cartographic)
Statement of projection (cartographic)
Statement of coordinates (cartographic)
Statement of scale (architectural)
Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)
Dates of creation area
Physical description area
7 vol textual material
Publisher's series area
Title proper of publisher's series
Parallel titles of publisher's series
Other title information of publisher's series
Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series
Numbering within publisher's series
Note on publisher's series
Archival description area
Name of creator
St. Giles Presbyterian Church existed in Winnipeg from 1884 until 1925. The original congregation of St. Giles was organized as a mission under the guidance of St. Andrew's Church in 1884. The mission held one of its first meetings in an empty building at Main and Burrows. The decision was then made to form the North Presbyterian Mission, and a small wooden church building was constructed at Main and Aberdeen the following year. In 1886, the congregation officially adopted the name North Presbyterian Mission and broke away from St. Andrew's. In 1889, a brick structure was erected on Selkirk Ave. The name of the North Presbyterian Mission was changed to North Presbyterian Church. In 1895, North Presbyterian Church adopted the name 'St. Giles Presbyterian Church'. The congregation of St. Giles began construction of a new church at Charles Street and Burrows Ave in 1907. The new St. Giles Presbyterian Church was dedicated and opened for service in March 1908. In 1925, St. Giles Presbyterian Church joined the United Church of Canada, becoming St. Giles United Church.
The records of St. Giles Presbyterian Church came to the conference archives of Manitoba and Northwestern Ontario as part of a transfer of records around 1970.
Scope and content
The surviving records of St. Giles Presbyterian Church are arranged in the following series: Sacramental Registers, pertaining to Baptisms, 1886-1917; and Marriages, 1891-1924; records of the Board of Managers, including minutes, 1884-1922; and records of Annual Congregational Meetings, 1884-1897.
Immediate source of acquisition
Language of material
Script of material
Location of originals
Availability of other formats
Restrictions on access
Some restrictions may apply.
Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication
Finding aid and item level inventory available.
Related material: See records of St. Giles United Church for records pertaining to St. Giles Presbyterian Church dating from 1918.
No further accruals expected.
Standard number area
Subject access points
Place access points
Name access points
- Winnipeg Presbytery (Subject)
Genre access points
Description record identifier
Rules or conventions
Level of detail
Dates of creation, revision and deletion
Language of description