Fonds 1.3.15 - St. Augustine Church (Austin, Man.) fonds

Title and statement of responsibility area

Title proper

St. Augustine Church (Austin, Man.) fonds

General material designation

Parallel title

Other title information

Title statements of responsibility

Title notes

Level of description

Fonds

Reference code

1.3.15

Edition area

Edition statement

Edition statement of responsibility

Class of material specific details area

Statement of scale (cartographic)

Statement of projection (cartographic)

Statement of coordinates (cartographic)

Statement of scale (architectural)

Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)

Dates of creation area

Date(s)

  • 1898-1986 (Creation)

Physical description area

Physical description

6.5 cm : textual records

Publisher's series area

Title proper of publisher's series

Parallel titles of publisher's series

Other title information of publisher's series

Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series

Numbering within publisher's series

Note on publisher's series

Archival description area

Name of creator

Administrative history

Records of the parish date back to 1898 when a man named Walter Clifford sent a request to the bishop of St. Boniface for an English-speaking priest to say a monthly Mass in Austin. The earliest sacramental records are dated 1907. In 1917, Austin was described as having the only Catholic church on the Canadian Pacific Railway line between Portage la Prairie and Brandon. The CPR was transporting a priest from St. Boniface to say Mass once a month. In 1920, the priest at Portage la Prairie began to serve Austin. In 1921 Archbishop Sinnott made his first pastoral visit to Austin, confirming 23 children. He described the mission as having "a pretty little church...built and equipped in excellent taste." He listed over 40 families by name as being active in the mission. The Austin church was repaired in 1970 and 1978. In 1983 permission was granted to sell the church, and it was demolished in 1986.

Custodial history

Textual records 1898-1915 were transferred from the Archiocese of St. Boniface circa 1915.

Scope and content

The fonds consists primarily of correspondence created or received by the Archdiocese of Winnipeg, including much correspondence from Austin resident Walter Clifford and an autobiographical sketch of Albert Rowberry, an immigrant from England who spent some time in Austin.

Notes area

Physical condition

Immediate source of acquisition

Arrangement

Language of material

Script of material

Location of originals

Availability of other formats

Restrictions on access

General copyright, institutional or legal restricftions may apply.

Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication

If permission is given for reproduction of materila, the process is done by tghe archivist at an establisdhed cost per sheet.

Finding aids

None available

Associated materials

Related materials

Accruals

Alternative identifier(s)

Standard number area

Standard number

Access points

Subject access points

Place access points

Name access points

Genre access points

Control area

Description record identifier

Institution identifier

Rules or conventions

Status

Level of detail

Dates of creation, revision and deletion

Language of description

  • English

Script of description

Sources

Accession area

Related subjects

Related places

Related genres