Fonds 1.4.14 - St. Augustine Church (Abbeville, Man.) fonds

Title and statement of responsibility area

Title proper

St. Augustine Church (Abbeville, Man.) fonds

General material designation

Parallel title

Other title information

Title statements of responsibility

Title notes

Level of description

Fonds

Reference code

CA AWA 1.4.14

Edition area

Edition statement

Edition statement of responsibility

Class of material specific details area

Statement of scale (cartographic)

Statement of projection (cartographic)

Statement of coordinates (cartographic)

Statement of scale (architectural)

Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)

Dates of creation area

Date(s)

  • 1906-1957 (Creation)

Physical description area

Physical description

5.5 cm : textual records

Publisher's series area

Title proper of publisher's series

Parallel titles of publisher's series

Other title information of publisher's series

Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series

Numbering within publisher's series

Note on publisher's series

Archival description area

Name of creator

Administrative history

Abbeville has a long history with documents dating back to 1906. Earliest sacramental records are dated 1906. Beginning in 1950, sacramental records are found in the sacramental register of Our Lady of the Smile, Deerhorn, Manitoba. It is unclear when Abbeville first had a chapel, but in 1935 the Catholic Church Extension Society of Canada was asked for funds for a furnace. The area was originally called Vannes. In 1955, the priest, was serving five missions: Abbeville, Deerhorn, Eriksdale, Suffern and Fisher River. He wrote that the district used to be called Abbeville, but "Abbeville is steadily decreasing and Deerhorn is steadily increasing so that before long the same district will have to be called Deerhorn and missions. About 1962 the church building was in such bad condition that it was demolished. Sacramental records indicate that Abbeville's chapel was closed in the 1950s and Deerhorn's 1950-1956 listings include Abbeville. Records from 1906 to 1957 are with those of Ashern. Abbeville does not appear on the current Manitoba highway map, but Deerhorn is located on No. 6 highway between Eriksdale and Lundar.

Custodial history

Textual records 1906-1915 were transferred from the Archdiocese of St. Bonidace circa 1915

Scope and content

The fonds consists primarily of correspondence created or received by the Archdiocese of Winnipeg between 1916 and 1957.

Notes area

Physical condition

Immediate source of acquisition

Arrangement

Language of material

Script of material

Location of originals

Availability of other formats

Restrictions on access

General copyright, institutional, or legal restrictions may apply.

Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication

If permission is given for reproduction of material, the process is done by the archivist at an established cost per page.

Finding aids

None

Associated materials

Related materials

Accruals

Language of material note

Many earlier documents are in French

Alternative identifier(s)

Standard number area

Standard number

Access points

Subject access points

Place access points

Name access points

Genre access points

Control area

Description record identifier

Institution identifier

Rules or conventions

Status

Level of detail

Dates of creation, revision and deletion

Language of description

  • English

Script of description

Sources

Accession area

Related subjects

Related places

Related genres