Fonds OW.091 - St Andrews, St Andrew fonds

Title and statement of responsibility area

Title proper

St Andrews, St Andrew fonds

General material designation

Parallel title

Other title information

Title statements of responsibility

Title notes

Level of description

Fonds

Reference code

CA DRL OW.091

Edition area

Edition statement

Edition statement of responsibility

Class of material specific details area

Statement of scale (cartographic)

Statement of projection (cartographic)

Statement of coordinates (cartographic)

Statement of scale (architectural)

Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)

Dates of creation area

Date(s)

  • 1835 - 2000 (Creation)

Physical description area

Physical description

1m textual material and photographs

Publisher's series area

Title proper of publisher's series

Parallel titles of publisher's series

Other title information of publisher's series

Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series

Numbering within publisher's series

Note on publisher's series

Archival description area

Name of creator

Biographical history

The Rev William Cockran arrived in the Red River Settlement from England in 1825. By 1828, he was holding services in private homes in the area then known as Grand Rapids. A wooden church that measured 50 x 22 feet was built in 1831 and dedicated on May 7, 1832. By 1844, the church was already too small for the growing congregation, and plans were made to build a larger, stone church. The Rev. John Smithhurst laid the cornerstone on 4 July 1845. Local material and volunteer labour was used for a good part of the construction. Cockran himself did a lot of the manual labour, although he took a temporary leave of absence halfway through the construction. Duncan McCrae was hired to do the masonry work. The church took five years to complete and was consecrated by Bishop David Anderson on December 19, 1849. The name St Andrew was chosen to acknowledge all the Scottish Presbyterians who attended the services because they had no church of their own. One year later, Henry Budd, the first Aboriginal to be ordained in the Anglican Church, was ordained a deacon at St Andrew's Church. A large limestone rectory across from the church was built in 1854. Cockran died on October 1, 1865 near Portage la Prairie, and in accordance to his wishes, was buried near the entrance of St Andrew's Church. A large stained glass window installed in 1890 is in memory of him. On 12 November 1922, a memorial arch was dedicated in memory of the men of St Andrew's Parish who fought in World War I. In 1931, a winter chapel was built. The chapel was used in winter months when the congregation was too small to heat the entire church. It was removed in the 1970s. Over the years, St Andrew's Church has undergone several substantial restoration projects. The foundation and east wall had to be repaired in the 1930s and in 1989 the parish began the large task of stabilizing the walls. The work was completed in 1995 and a rededication service was held 14 May 1995. Today, St Andrew's Church is a Provincial Heritage Site and a National Historic Site, as well as being the oldest Anglican Church in Western Canada still in continuous use. It is open to tourists everyday during the summer. St Andrew's Rectory is a National Historic Site owned by Parks Canada and serves as both a museum and as the residence of the priest. Many of the original 1849 fixtures including the altar, pulpit, bells and font, are still in use. St Andrew is part of a three point parish that includes St Thomas, Lockport and St Matthew, Cloverdale.

Custodial history

Parish to Diocesan Archives in 1984; 1990; 1994; 2002; 2004; 2005; 2016.

Scope and content

The surviving records of St Andrew's Church, St Andrews include: Canonical Documents (1849-1982); Titles (1849-1993); Blueprints/Plans (1937-1991); Sacramental registers (1835-2000); records of the Parish, including a register of library books, special Parish meetings, Anniversary services' statistics and an Account Book for Bell Fund (1844-1987); Vestry minutes (1890-1991; 2002-2010 copy); Record of Services (1897-1990); Annual Reports (1920, 1923, 1961-1998); financial records (1915-1995); records of the Restoration Committee (1931, 1966-1983); correspondence (1962-1968, 1989-1990); Wills; records from the Historic Sites and Monuments Board Report (1970); Correspondence re: RB Johnstone and St Andrew's Cemetery (1975); St Andrew's Rectory Research Material (1976); St Andrew's Rectory Restoration (1977-1989); Provincial Heritage Designation (1990); Cost sharing agreement between the Parish and Canadian Parks Services (1991); records of the River Road Project (1983); records of the Dunlop Museum hearing (1968); records of the ARC agreement (1981); records of the WA (1950-1967); records of the ACW (1967-1969); Engineering, Conservation and Restoration Reports (1988, 1990, 1991); photographs ([1935]-1964) and research files.

Notes area

Physical condition

Immediate source of acquisition

Arrangement

These files have been arranged thematically and chronologically. The boxes have been given temporarily identification numbers until all the Parish records have been processed. The Parish of St. Andrew includes St. Thomas, Lockport (OW.050), St. Matthew's Cloverdale (OW.017), and the now disestablished St. Stephen's, Parkdale (OW.067). Therefore, some overlap in the materials should be expected.

Language of material

Script of material

Location of originals

Availability of other formats

Parish Registers are available on microfilm: Roll 9 and 10

Restrictions on access

Use of Parish Registers is limited to Archives staff.

Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication

Finding aids

Rural Parishes Finding Aid

Associated materials

Related material: See references to Capt. William Kennedy and The Rev Henry Budd in the Pamphlet collection. See the Personal Papers of HB Lyall, The Rev TCB Boon, and The Rev David Barclay. See also Lockport, St Thomas (OW.050), Cloverdale, St Matthew (OW.017), and Parkdale, St Stephen (OW.067) for records relating to St Andrew's Parish.

Associated material: Further records of the Parish of St Andrew are located in the balcony of St. Andrew's Church. An item level inventory is available at the Diocesan Archives

Related materials

Accruals

Further accruals are expected.

Language of material note

English

Alternative identifier(s)

Standard number area

Standard number

Access points

Subject access points

Place access points

Name access points

Genre access points

Control area

Description record identifier

Institution identifier

Rules or conventions

Status

Level of detail

Dates of creation, revision and deletion

Language of description

  • English

Script of description

Sources

Accession area

Related subjects

Related people and organizations

Related places

Related genres