Fonds 89 - 11 - Garson St. Andrew's United Church fonds

Title and statement of responsibility area

Title proper

Garson St. Andrew's United Church fonds

General material designation

Parallel title

Other title information

Title statements of responsibility

Title notes

Level of description


Reference code

CA UCA 89 - 11

Edition area

Edition statement

Edition statement of responsibility

Class of material specific details area

Statement of scale (cartographic)

Statement of projection (cartographic)

Statement of coordinates (cartographic)

Statement of scale (architectural)

Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)

Dates of creation area


  • 1940 - 1973 (Creation)

Physical description area

Physical description

3 folders, 4 volumes textual material.

Publisher's series area

Title proper of publisher's series

Parallel titles of publisher's series

Other title information of publisher's series

Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series

Numbering within publisher's series

Note on publisher's series

Archival description area

Name of creator

Administrative history

St. Andrew's United Church existed in the Manitoba community of Garson, located southeast of Selkirk in the Rural Municipality of Brokenhead, from 1925 to 1960. Its predecessor was St. Andrews Presbyterian Church. The Presbyterian Church building, built in 1911, continued to be used after Union in 1925. St. Andrew's was added to the Beausejour Pastoral Charge in 1926 with student minister, Rev. F.W. Armstrong presiding. Previously, they had been connected to Hazelridge and Tyndall. During the 1930s and 1940s services were conducted by students and supply serving the communities of Beausejour, Garson and Tyndall as well as Hazelridge, Dugald and Anola. In 1958 the Beausejour charge was expanded to include Whitemouth and Seven Sisters. An ordained minister was called to serve this charge. It was then known as the Springfield Pastoral Charge to commemorate the mission of Springfield United Church, which had closed in 1951. United Church services were discontinued in Garson in 1960 and in 1969 the building was sold to the Elim Baptist Church of Beausejour. Currently it is known as Garson Mission Church.

Custodial history

The records of St. Andrew's United Church came to The United Church of Canada Archives-Conference of Manitoba and Northwestern Ontario as part of a transfer from the Garson Pastoral charge in 1989.

Scope and content

The surviving records of St. Andrew's United Church include: Sacramental Registers pertaining to Marriages (1964); Membership certificates (1943-1960); records of the Congregational meetings, including correspondence (1941-1972), financial records (1940-1961), and minutes (1940-1958); records of the Secretary-Treasurer of the Sunday School, including correspondence (1941) and notes (1942-1944); records of the Ladies' Church Club, including minutes (1950-1969), correspondence (1963-1973), and financial records (1946-1956).

Notes area

Physical condition

Immediate source of acquisition


Language of material

Script of material

Location of originals

Availability of other formats

Restrictions on access

Some limits on access to Baptism, Marriage and Burial Registers apply.

Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication

Finding aids

Item level inventory is available.

Associated materials

Related material: See also the Dugald Pastoral Charge fonds for additional records pertaining to St. Andrew's United Church.

Related materials


No further accruals are expected.

Alternative identifier(s)

Standard number area

Standard number

Access points

Subject access points

Place access points

Name access points

Genre access points

Control area

Description record identifier

Institution identifier

Rules or conventions


Level of detail

Dates of creation, revision and deletion

Language of description

  • English

Script of description


Accession area

Related subjects

Related people and organizations

Related places

Related genres