Title and statement of responsibility area
Emerson St. Andrew's United Church fonds
General material designation
Other title information
Title statements of responsibility
Level of description
CA UCA Acc: 78-22; 88 - 29; 1996-03
Edition statement of responsibility
Class of material specific details area
Statement of scale (cartographic)
Statement of projection (cartographic)
Statement of coordinates (cartographic)
Statement of scale (architectural)
Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)
Dates of creation area
1897 - 1981 (Creation)
Physical description area
25 cm textual material.
Publisher's series area
Title proper of publisher's series
Parallel titles of publisher's series
Other title information of publisher's series
Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series
Numbering within publisher's series
Note on publisher's series
Archival description area
Name of creator
St. Andrew's United Church has existed in the Manitoba community of Emerson in the Red River Valley, located ninety kilometers south of Winnipeg's perimeter, since 1925. Its predecessor was a Local Union church formed by Emerson Methodist Church and St. Andrew's Presbyterian Church in 1921. The Presbyterian Church, built in 1897, continued to be used for both the Union and United church. The land on which the Methodist church stood was sold in 1925, but a motion to sell the church appeared in the 1922 minutes. In 1925, Reverend J.M. Wallace was the first minister of the United Church in Emerson. He presided over a field which included points at Marais and Letellier. In 1959 Emerson joined with Dominion City, Greenbridge-Woodmore, Letellier, Marais, Newbridge and Ridgeville to form the Emerson-Dominion City Pastoral charge. In 1968 the charge was renamed the Valley Pastoral charge. One year later Ridgeville and Letellier closed and by 1972 the charge only included points at Dominion City, Emerson and Greenridge. A new church to replace the existing building officially opened on 17 October 1982 and the old church was demolished. An extension was built in 1986. At the time of description, St. Andrew's United Church, Emerson is part of the Valley Pastoral Charge in Agassiz Presbytery.
The records of St. Andrew's United Church came to The United Church of Canada Archives-Conference of Manitoba and Northwestern Ontario as part of a transfer of records from St. Andrew's United Church in 1978, 1988, 1996.
Scope and content
The records of St. Andrew's United Church held at the conference archives include: Sacramental registers pertaining to Baptisms (1912-1932, 1968-1993); Marriages (1912-1949, 1965-1993); and Burials (1912-1949, 1968-1993); records of the Board of Managers (1897 - 1920, 1933 - 1958); records of the Official Board (1913 - 1920, 1923 - 1970); records of the Quarterly Board (1921 - 1930); records of the Board of Stewards (1921 - 1930, 1959 - 1977); financial records (1943 - 1953); records of the Sunday School (1928 - 1952); records of the Woman's Foreign Missionary Society (1917 - 1926); records of the Ladies Aid (1918 - 1920, 1926 - 1947); records of the W.A. (1946 - 1961); records of the W.M.S. (1931 - 1961); records of the U.C.W. (1962- 1967); and records of the 100th Anniversary Committee (1977).
Immediate source of acquisition
Language of material
Script of material
Location of originals
Availability of other formats
Restrictions on access
Some limits on access to Baptism, Marriage and Burial Registers apply.
Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication
Item level inventory is available.
Related material: St. Andrew's United Church is also described as a fonds of the Valley Pastoral charge. See also the records of the Emerson Pastoral charge for other material pertaining to St. Andrew's United Church.
Further accruals are expected.
Standard number area
Subject access points
Place access points
Genre access points
Description record identifier
Rules or conventions
Level of detail
Dates of creation, revision and deletion
Language of description