Title and statement of responsibility area
Schreiber St. Andrew's United Church fonds
General material designation
Other title information
Title statements of responsibility
Level of description
Edition statement of responsibility
Class of material specific details area
Statement of scale (cartographic)
Statement of projection (cartographic)
Statement of coordinates (cartographic)
Statement of scale (architectural)
Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)
Dates of creation area
1889 - 1967, predominant 1921 - 1967 (Creation)
Physical description area
.5m textual material.
Publisher's series area
Title proper of publisher's series
Parallel titles of publisher's series
Other title information of publisher's series
Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series
Numbering within publisher's series
Note on publisher's series
Archival description area
Name of creator
St. Andrew's United Church has exited in the Ontario community of Schreiber, on the northernmost point of Lake Superior, since 1921. The name of St. Andrew's United Church was used for the Local Union between Schreiber Methodist and St. Andrew's Presbyterian from 1921 to 1925, when it officially joined the United Church of Canada. The Presbyterian Church on Winnipeg Street, which was enlarged in 1925, continued to be used as the Union and United Churches. Brick veneer was put on the church in 1928. The minister at St. Andrew's also continued to serve the Rossport, Jack Fish, and Coldwell communities, with occasional services offered at Angler and Neyes. Rossport was listed as being part of the Pastoral Charge in 1936 and 1943 along with Jack Fish from 1942 to 1948, and Terrance Bay from 1947 to 1949. The church spire was repaired and then replaced with a square top in 1954. Since 1972, Schreiber has not had its own minister. One minister served both Terrance Bay and Schreiber congregations from 1976 to 2005.
The records of St. Andrew's United Church came to The United Church of Canada Archives-Conference of Manitoba and Northwestern Ontario as part of two transfers of records from St. Andrew's United Church in 1980 and 1999.
Scope and content
The records of St. Andrew's United Church held at the conference archives include: Sacramental Registers pertaining to Baptisms (1889 - 1957), and Burials (1940 - 1957); Communion Roll (1906 - 1923); records of the congregation (1933 - 1952); records of the Official Board (1927 - 1950); records of the Session (1964 - 1967); records of the Stewards (1925 - 1935, 1950 - 1962); records of the Sunday School (1950 - 1965); records of the Women's Foreign Missionary Society (1913 - 1927); records of the Ladies Aid (1917 - 1927, 1935 - 1938); records of the Women's Missionary Society (1927 - 1938, 1943 - 1961); records of the Women's Auxiliary (1938 - 1960); records of the Choir (1928 - 1941); records of Tuxis (1922 - 1935); records of the Young Peoples Union (1923, 1946 - 1950); records of the Trail Rangers (1926 - 1935, 1949 - 1950); records of the C.G.I.T. (1927 - 1930); records of the Young Explorers (1931 - 1933); records of the "Ever ready" Explorers Boys Group (1932 - 1934); records of the Tuxis/Trail Rangers (1932 - 1937); correspondence (1928 - 1949) ; and history.
Immediate source of acquisition
Language of material
Script of material
Location of originals
Availability of other formats
Restrictions on access
Some limits on access to Baptism, Marriage, and Burial Registers apply.
Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication
Item level inventory is available.
Further accruals are expected.
Standard number area
Subject access points
Place access points
Genre access points
Description record identifier
Rules or conventions
Level of detail
Dates of creation, revision and deletion
Language of description