Title and statement of responsibility area
Salem St. Andrew's United Church fonds
General material designation
Other title information
Title statements of responsibility
Level of description
Edition statement of responsibility
Class of material specific details area
Statement of scale (cartographic)
Statement of projection (cartographic)
Statement of coordinates (cartographic)
Statement of scale (architectural)
Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)
Dates of creation area
1907 - 1935 (Creation)
Physical description area
1 volume textual material.
Publisher's series area
Title proper of publisher's series
Parallel titles of publisher's series
Other title information of publisher's series
Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series
Numbering within publisher's series
Note on publisher's series
Archival description area
Name of creator
St. Andrew's United Church existed in the Manitoba community of Salem from 1925 to 1967. Its predecessor was St. Andrew's Presbyterian Church built in 1904. Salem was connected with Ridge Road at Union in 1925. St. Andrew's United Church was served frequently by student ministers and had only summer services. The church was temporarily closed from 1935 to 1945, and was then reopened as a part of the Oakville charge. In the late 1940s, the St. Andrew's and Elm River congregations amalgamated. A Christian Education Annex was added onto the church in 1959. The St. Andrew's congregation was dissolved after their last service 18 June 1967, and the building was sold, torn down, and removed. Russel Case bought the land in 1973. The members of the congregation transferred their membership to the United Churches in Oakville or Portage la Prairie.
The records of St. Andrew's United Church came to The United Church of Canada Archives-Conference of Manitoba and Northwestern Ontario as part of a transfer of records from McKenzie United Church in 1991.
Scope and content
The records of St. Andrew's United Church held at the conference archives include a Sacramental Register pertaining to Baptisms (1906-1916), Marriages (1906-1919) and Burials (1906-1915, 1923-1925); records of the Board of Managers (1907-1935); two photographs (1928, 1967); and records of the congregation, including minutes (1907-1935).
Immediate source of acquisition
Language of material
Script of material
Location of originals
Availability of other formats
Restrictions on access
No restrictions on access.
Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication
Item level inventory is available.
Related material: See also the Private Register of Rev. Thomas Hart for Baptisms dating from 1892 to 1910.
No further accruals are expected.
Standard number area
Subject access points
Place access points
Genre access points
Description record identifier
Rules or conventions
Level of detail
Dates of creation, revision and deletion
Language of description