Title and statement of responsibility area
Winnipeg St. Andrew's Presbyterian Church, Elgin Avenue fonds
General material designation
Other title information
Title statements of responsibility
Level of description
CA UCA 80-10; 81-2; 84-21; 87-34; 93-16; 02-12
Edition statement of responsibility
Class of material specific details area
Statement of scale (cartographic)
Statement of projection (cartographic)
Statement of coordinates (cartographic)
Statement of scale (architectural)
Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)
Dates of creation area
Physical description area
1m textual records
Publisher's series area
Title proper of publisher's series
Parallel titles of publisher's series
Other title information of publisher's series
Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series
Numbering within publisher's series
Note on publisher's series
Archival description area
Name of creator
St. Andrew's Presbyterian Church existed in Winnipeg from 1881 to 1925. In 1873, Winnipeg Presbytery decided to divide the overgrown congregation of Knox Presbyterian Church into two parts. The Knox Church property at the corner of Portage Avenue and Fort Street was sold and the proceeds were divided in half. Notre Dame Avenue was the point of division of the city and congregation; the northern portion was named 'St. Andrew's, and Knox Church retained the southern portion. Organizational meetings of the new St. Andrew's congregation were held in City Hall and the Courthouse in 1881. That same year, Rev. C. B. Pitblado held the first worship service of the congregation in the Courthouse. By 1882, the St. Andrew's congregation had secured a site on Logan and Machray Street, and had erected a building named Selkirk Hall. Soon outgrowing their original building, the congregation purchased lots on Logan and Ellen Street in 1894, and began construction on a larger church. The first services in St. Andrew's Presbyterian Church took place in January 1895. The church was slightly damaged by fire in 1904 and the church tower was struck by lightening in 1923. St. Andrew's played a role in the establishment of several Winnipeg missions: the Point Douglas mission, the North End mission, and the Sherman Street mission. St. Andrew's also initiated Chinese classes around 1896, contributing to the foundations of the Chinese Christian Association. In 1915, St. Andrew's Presbyterian Church expanded into the River Heights district. St. Andrew's River Heights Presbyterian Church was built on a lot located on the corner of Oak Street and Kingsway. The new church opened in October 1915, but was destroyed by fire shortly thereafter. Services were held for the River Heights congregation in the auditorium of Kelvin School until a replacement church was erected and opened in June 1916. From 1915 until 1925, St. Andrew's Presbyterian Church carried on two church homes. In 1925, the church joined the United Church of Canada. In 1926, St. Andrew's officially divided into two separate congregations. Winnipeg Presbytery decided to make both Elgin Ave and River Heights self-supporting, assigning the names 'St. Andrew's Elgin Avenue United Church' and 'St. Andrew's River Heights United Church' to the newly defined congregations, splitting the former debt between the two churches accordingly.
The records of St. Andrew's Presbyterian Church came to the conference archives of Manitoba and Northwestern Ontario as part of several transfers of records between 1980 and 1993.
Scope and content
The surviving records of St. Andrew's Presbyterian Church are arranged in the following series: Membership Rolls and records of the Session, including offerings register, minutes and roll of session, 1881-1925; records of the Joint Boards, including minutes, 1903-1922; records pertaining to Christian Education, including minutes and financial statements, 1905-1914; records of Congregational Meetings and Annual Reports, 1881-1924; records pertaining to the Board of Stewards and church property, including financial statements, 1885-1926; records of the Deaconess Aid Society, 1911-1923; and records of lay associations, including the Women's Missionary Society and Ladies Aid, 1914-1926.
Immediate source of acquisition
Language of material
Script of material
Location of originals
Availability of other formats
Restrictions on access
Some restrictions may apply.
Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication
Finding aid and item level inventory available.
Related material: See records of St. Andrew's Elgin Avenue United Church and St. Andrew's River Heights United Church for records pertaining to St. Andrew's Presbyterian Church dating from 1881.
No further accruals expected.
Standard number area
Subject access points
Place access points
Name access points
- Winnipeg Presbytery (Subject)
Genre access points
Description record identifier
Rules or conventions
Level of detail
Dates of creation, revision and deletion
Language of description