Title and statement of responsibility area
Springfield, St Margaret fonds
General material designation
Other title information
Title statements of responsibility
Level of description
CA DRL OW.089
Edition statement of responsibility
Class of material specific details area
Statement of scale (cartographic)
Statement of projection (cartographic)
Statement of coordinates (cartographic)
Statement of scale (architectural)
Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)
Dates of creation area
Physical description area
1.1 cm of textual records
Publisher's series area
Title proper of publisher's series
Parallel titles of publisher's series
Other title information of publisher's series
Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series
Numbering within publisher's series
Note on publisher's series
Archival description area
Name of creator
The Manitoba Free Press of 30 November 30, 1872 records "the Church of England has erected a place of worship at Springfield. The building is twenty by thirty feet, and it will be very comfortable when finished. Reverend Samuel Pritchard is the officiat¬ing minister. The opening service was in January 1873, Bishop Robert Machray preached, and there was a congregation of 50 or 60." On 8 November 1887, Bishop Machray formed the parish of St. Margaret's, Springfield. The history of the RM of Springfield places St. Margaret's Church in the SW 1/4 Section 12-4E and then states that the church was moved to SW 1/4 7-1 1-5E (east of Oak Hammock gravel pit), then to Moose Nose cemetery and then to Oakbank, where it was demolished. Diocesan records and the history of St. George's, Transcona, however, record a different fate for St. Margaret's Church. The Acts of the Bishop record approving the creation of the Parish of St. George's, Transcona from lands within the Parish of St Margaret, Springfield in 1912. The certificate states "that the said Parish of Saint Margaret's is disorganized, there are no churchwardens or vestry resident within the bounds of the said parish and I further certify that it is impossible to call a meeting of the par¬ishioners as required by canon." At this time, St Margaret's Church was moved to Transcona and dismantled. Materials salvaged from St Margaret's were used in the construction of St George, Transcona. The church furniture, organ, reading desk and lectern, were also donated to St. George, Transcona. During its history, St Margaret was associated with All Saints, Sapton (OW.084), St George, Oak Bank (OW.090), Christ Church, Cook's Creek - later known as Hazelridge (OW.018).
Parish to Diocesan Archives in 2002.
Scope and content
The fonds consists of one parish register (1883-1920) and one file folder containing canonical documents (1887).
Immediate source of acquisition
Language of material
Script of material
Location of originals
All materials are held in the Lower Vault.
Availability of other formats
Parish register is also available on microfilm reel #11.
Restrictions on access
Some restrictions may apply on access to Parish Registers.
Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication
Rural Parishes Finding Aid
Related material: See also Transcona, St George (W.020) for parish registers.
Language of material note
Standard number area
Subject access points
Place access points
Genre access points
Description record identifier
Rules or conventions
Level of detail
Dates of creation, revision and deletion
Language of description