Fonds Acc: 78 - 7; 2005 - 01 - Sidney Methodist Church fonds

Title and statement of responsibility area

Title proper

Sidney Methodist Church fonds

General material designation

Parallel title

Other title information

Title statements of responsibility

Title notes

Level of description

Fonds

Reference code

CA UCA Acc: 78 - 7; 2005 - 01

Edition area

Edition statement

Edition statement of responsibility

Class of material specific details area

Statement of scale (cartographic)

Statement of projection (cartographic)

Statement of coordinates (cartographic)

Statement of scale (architectural)

Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)

Dates of creation area

Date(s)

  • 1889 - 1924 (Creation)

Physical description area

Physical description

2 volumes of textual material, 1 certificate.

Publisher's series area

Title proper of publisher's series

Parallel titles of publisher's series

Other title information of publisher's series

Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series

Numbering within publisher's series

Note on publisher's series

Archival description area

Name of creator

Biographical history

Sidney Methodist Church existed in the Manitoba community of Sidney, located east of Brandon in the Rural Municipality of North Norfolk, from 1891 to 1925. The mission was formed in 1889 with The Rev. W.B. Chegwin in charge, under the direction of the Superintendent of Carberry. At the time, the circuit also included Arizona, Pleasant Point, and Melbourne. In 1891 Forestville replaced Melbourne and Pleasant Point was transferred to Carberry in 1894. A church was completed on November 1, 1891, and the records imply that this building was replacing a previous one. The local Presbyterians were invited to use the Methodist church for their services. In 1925, Sidney Methodist Church officially joined the United Church of Canada to become Sidney United Church.

Custodial history

The records of Sidney Methodist Church came to The United Church of Canada Archives-Conference of Manitoba and Northwestern Ontario as part of several transfers of records from the Austin - Sidney Pastoral charge in 1978 and 2005.

Scope and content

The records of Sidney Methodist Church held at the conference archives include: records of the Quarterly Board (1889 - 1915); records of the Women's Missionary Society (1919 - 1924); and records of the Adult Sunday School (1913).

Notes area

Physical condition

Immediate source of acquisition

Arrangement

Language of material

Script of material

Location of originals

Availability of other formats

Restrictions on access

No restrictions on access.

Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication

Finding aids

Item level inventory is available.

Associated materials

Related material: See also Sidney United Church for further material pertaining to Sidney Methodist Church.

Related materials

Accruals

No further accruals are expected.

Alternative identifier(s)

Standard number area

Standard number

Access points

Subject access points

Place access points

Name access points

Genre access points

Control area

Description record identifier

Institution identifier

Rules or conventions

Status

Level of detail

Dates of creation, revision and deletion

Language of description

  • English

Script of description

Sources

Accession area

Related subjects

Related people and organizations

Related places

Related genres