Fonds - Sherridon United Church fonds

Title and statement of responsibility area

Title proper

Sherridon United Church fonds

General material designation

Parallel title

Other title information

Title statements of responsibility

Title notes

Level of description

Fonds

Reference code

Edition area

Edition statement

Edition statement of responsibility

Class of material specific details area

Statement of scale (cartographic)

Statement of projection (cartographic)

Statement of coordinates (cartographic)

Statement of scale (architectural)

Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)

Dates of creation area

Date(s)

  • 1884-1953 (Creation)

Physical description area

Physical description

.4 m textual material.

Publisher's series area

Title proper of publisher's series

Parallel titles of publisher's series

Other title information of publisher's series

Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series

Numbering within publisher's series

Note on publisher's series

Archival description area

Name of creator

Biographical history

Sherridon United Church was built in the mining community of Sherridon, Manitoba, roughly 150 kilometres north of The Pas, in 1930. The first worship services were held in a dining hall, and the first Sunday School was held in Rundel's pool room: the earliest records for Sunday School are from 1930, but, as with the congregation, there is evidence that it existed prior to that year. The Building Committee in Sherridon met in August of 1930 to discuss the building of a church, chose a lot in September, and put out a contract that same fall for the church to be built in a 25 day window. By November 27th that same year, Sherridon United Church was receiving requests from the local Presbyterians to use the new church for their own worship services. In 1940, a back room was built on to the church as living quarters for the minister, and a manse was purchased in 1942. When the mines ran out in the late 1940s/early 1950s, the town began preparations to move to Lynn Lake, 120 miles north. It is unclear as to when the church moved, but the building committee discussed moving the church in 1952. Sherridon United Church has since moved to Lynn Lake, and become part of St. Simon's Joint Multi-Denominational Church.

Custodial history

Scope and content

The records of the Sherridon United Church held at The United Church of Canada Archives-Conference of Manitoba and Northwestern Ontario include: Sacramental Registers pertaining to Baptisms (1940-1953), Burials (1946-1952), and Communion (1931-1953); Minutes from Official Board (1944-1952), Session Meetings (1946-1949), the Ladies Guild (1930-1946); and a Bible (1884).

Notes area

Physical condition

Immediate source of acquisition

Arrangement

Language of material

Script of material

Location of originals

Availability of other formats

Restrictions on access

Some restrictions on access to Baptism, Marriage and Burial Registers may apply.

Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication

Finding aids

Item level inventory available.

Associated materials

Related materials

Accruals

Alternative identifier(s)

Standard number area

Standard number

Access points

Subject access points

Place access points

Genre access points

Control area

Description record identifier

Institution identifier

Rules or conventions

Status

Level of detail

Dates of creation, revision and deletion

Language of description

  • English

Script of description

Sources

Accession area

Related subjects

Related people and organizations

Related places

Related genres