Title and statement of responsibility area
Selkirk Wesley Methodist Church fonds
General material designation
Other title information
Title statements of responsibility
Level of description
CA UCA 2000 - 30 ; 2006 - 47
Edition statement of responsibility
Class of material specific details area
Statement of scale (cartographic)
Statement of projection (cartographic)
Statement of coordinates (cartographic)
Statement of scale (architectural)
Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)
Dates of creation area
1874 - 1925 (Creation)
Physical description area
7 volumes, 1 folder textual material.
Publisher's series area
Title proper of publisher's series
Parallel titles of publisher's series
Other title information of publisher's series
Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series
Numbering within publisher's series
Note on publisher's series
Archival description area
Name of creator
The Methodist Church in Selkirk began in 1877 when a woman attending the Ontario Conference requested all circuits to raise $1000 to build a Methodist Church in Selkirk. A church, not quite finished, was dedicated in December of that year with the service being conducted by Rev. J.F. German with the local Presbyterian Minister, Rev. A. Matheson. Rev. Wesley Casson was the first to be appointed to the circuit. Within that first year, arrangements were being made to provide occasional services near Lower Fort Garry. By 1879, services were also held at the "Junction", now known as East Selkirk, and a church was built there the following year. In 1887, the Selkirk church, located on what is now known as Morris Avenue, was closed and sold to the Roman Catholic congregation. It was used as a Roman Catholic Church until the 1970's when it became the Selkirk Funeral Home. Services continued in several places led by Rev. Jabez Dyer, Rev. William Laird Armstrong, Rev. William S.A. Crux, Rev. Hammond James Kinley and Rev. Henry Sylvester Hastings. In 1889, Selkirk Methodist Mission Circuit became known as Selkirk Wesley Methodist. By 1891 the circuit included East Selkirk, Tyndall, Cloverdale, and Poplar Park. When Rev. J.W. Dickinson arrived in 1895, plans began for the construction of a second church. It was completed in 1896. In 1925, Wesley Methodist Church officially joined the United Church of Canada and became Selkirk United Church.
The records of Selkirk Wesley Methodist Church came to The United Church of Canada Archives-Conference of Manitoba and Northwestern Ontario as part of a transfer from the Manitoba Archives in 2000 and from the Cloverdale-Selkirk Pastoral charge in 2006.
Scope and content
The surviving records of the Selkirk Wesley Methodist Church include: Sacramental registers pertaining to Baptisms (1874-1875, 1878-1879, 1895-1926), Marriages (1874-1875, 1878-1879, 1895-1921), and Burials (1874-1875, 1879, 1895-1922); records of the Quarterly Board and Committees, including minutes (1891-1921); records of the Official Board and Congregational Meetings, including minutes (1921-1925); and records of subscriptions (1907-1925).
Immediate source of acquisition
Language of material
Script of material
Location of originals
Availability of other formats
Restrictions on access
No restrictions on access.
Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication
Item level inventory available.
Related material: See also the Selkirk United Church fonds for further records pertaining to Se3lkirk Wesley Methodist Church.
No further accruals expected.
Standard number area
Subject access points
Place access points
Name access points
- Selkirk United Church (Subject)
Genre access points
Description record identifier
Rules or conventions
Level of detail
Dates of creation, revision and deletion
Language of description