Fonds OW.087 - Selkirk, Christ Church fonds

Title and statement of responsibility area

Title proper

Selkirk, Christ Church fonds

General material designation

Parallel title

Other title information

Title statements of responsibility

Title notes

Level of description

Fonds

Reference code

CA DRL OW.087

Edition area

Edition statement

Edition statement of responsibility

Class of material specific details area

Statement of scale (cartographic)

Statement of projection (cartographic)

Statement of coordinates (cartographic)

Statement of scale (architectural)

Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)

Dates of creation area

Date(s)

  • 1887-2000 (Creation)

Physical description area

Physical description

88 cm textual material
Still Images
Microfilm

Publisher's series area

Title proper of publisher's series

Parallel titles of publisher's series

Other title information of publisher's series

Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series

Numbering within publisher's series

Note on publisher's series

Archival description area

Name of creator

Administrative history

The parish of Christ Church, Selkirk was formed by the Right Reverend Robert Machray on 23 July 1887. The congregation, however, had been meeting since the 1860s. They were meeting in a house on lower Queen Avenue before building a chapel-schoolhouse on River Lot 63 in 1867. When the chapel became unfit for use, it was sold in 1884 and converted into a residence. The congregation continued to meet in Knox Presbyterian Church. Construction on a new church began in February 1887 at the present site on McLean Avenue. On 24 July 1887, the church was consecrated. A bell was purchased for the church in 1889 and was rung for the first time in January 1890. In 1894 a chancel was added to the church. The expanded structure was consecrated on 9 September 1894. A church basement was dug in 1904. A parish hall was built in 1953. In 1959 the hall and church were connected. In 1977, the walls of the hall had to be rebuilt. Between 1987 and 1989, five sets of stained glass windows, designed by Ernest Ashcroft, were installed at Christ Church. Each set depicted a liturgical season and incorporated both Old and New Testament figures, as well as a prominent local figure who had a lasting impact on the church and community. In the late 1990s, faced with mounting and costly repairs, the congregation reluctantly elected to build a new Christ Church. A service of Deconsecration was held 13 August 2000 and demolition began shortly after. During construction, the congregation worshipped at Selkirk United. The new Christ Church, built on the same site, was opened and dedicated 1 April 2001. From its inception, the parish of Christ Church was tied to St Clements, Mapleton. In 1958, the two separated and Christ Church shared its priest with a number of parishes in the surrounding area, including the St Andrew's Group. At the time of description, Christ Church, Selkirk is an independent parish.

Custodial history

Parish to Diocese in 1984, 2002 and 2003.

Scope and content

The records of Christ Church, Selkirk held at the Archives include: Canonical Documents (1887-2000); Titles (1892-2000); Blueprints and Plans (2000); Sacramental Registers (1887-1983); Record of Services (1902-1975); Treasurer's Book (1887-1906, 1956-1961); Vestry Minutes (1908-1974); WA Minutes (1906-1967); WA Evening Branch Minutes (1949-1951); WA/ACW Roll Call (1969-1974); ACW Minutes (1963-1977); Reports for Annual General Meetings (1958-1981); Parish Statistics (1954-1982 n.i.); Parish Statistics (1920,1960); WA Display Materials (1979); Junior Auxiliary Records (1959-1962); Sunday School Attendance (1949-1955); St Clement's Parish Magazine (1906); Chancel Guild Constitution (1951); Chancel Guild Annual Reports (1962-1968, 1970); Chancel Guild Minutes (1951-1955,1958-1963); Chancel Guild Agenda (1969); Chancel Guild Book of Remembrance (1967); Chancel Guild Treasurer's Book (1952-1959); Chancel Guild Memorials and Gifts; Girls' Auxiliary, Little Helpers Minutes (1912-1914); Stained Glass Windows Project; Financial Plan (2000); Miscellaneous Leaflets; still images. Research file.

Notes area

Physical condition

Immediate source of acquisition

Arrangement

Language of material

Script of material

Location of originals

Canonical Documents, Titles, Blueprints and Plans, Research and Sacramental Registers are held in the Upper Vault. All bound volumes and files are located in the Lower Vault. Still images are filed by title and held in the Still Images Collection - Rural Parish Collection. One still image is located in Oversize Still Image Storage.

Availability of other formats

Parish registers are available on microfilm reel #10 and #11.

Restrictions on access

Use of Parish Registers is restricted to Archive staff.

Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication

Finding aids

Rural Parishes Finding Aid

Associated materials

Related materials

Accruals

Further accruals expected

Language of material note

English

Alternative identifier(s)

Standard number area

Standard number

Access points

Subject access points

Place access points

Name access points

Genre access points

Control area

Description record identifier

Institution identifier

Rules or conventions

Status

Level of detail

Dates of creation, revision and deletion

Language of description

  • English

Script of description

Sources

Accession area

Related subjects

Related people and organizations

Related places

Related genres