Title and statement of responsibility area
Schreiber Methodist Church fonds
General material designation
Other title information
Title statements of responsibility
Level of description
Edition statement of responsibility
Class of material specific details area
Statement of scale (cartographic)
Statement of projection (cartographic)
Statement of coordinates (cartographic)
Statement of scale (architectural)
Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)
Dates of creation area
1887 - 1918 (Creation)
Physical description area
3 volumes textual material.
Publisher's series area
Title proper of publisher's series
Parallel titles of publisher's series
Other title information of publisher's series
Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series
Numbering within publisher's series
Note on publisher's series
Archival description area
Name of creator
Schreiber Methodist Church existed in the Ontario community of Schreiber, Ontario, on the northernmost point of Lake Superior, from 1888 to 1921. Rev. W.J. Ellis first organized the congregation in 1888. The original circuit included White River, Port Caldwell, Jack Fish, Rossport, Nipigon, and Mazokama. Because of the financial difficulties of the congregation, construction of the church began in 1888, but was not completed until 1893. The first meeting held in the church occurred on July 26, 1893. In 1921, Schreiber Methodist Church formed a Local Union with St. Andrew's Presbyterian Church to become St. Andrew's United Church. The Methodist church was sold to the town of Schreiber to be used as a primary school, and was later sold to the Society of Elks to be used for a hall.
The records of Schreiber Methodist Church came to The United Church of Canada Archives-Conference of Manitoba and Northwestern Ontario as part of a transfer of records from St. Andrew's United Church in 1980.
Scope and content
The records of Schreiber Methodist Church held at the conference archives include: Sacramental registers pertaining to Baptisms (1912 - 1918), Marriages (1899 - 1917), and Burials (1912 - 1913) and records of the Quarterly Board (1887 - 1913).
Immediate source of acquisition
Language of material
Script of material
Location of originals
Availability of other formats
Restrictions on access
No restrictions on access.
Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication
Item level inventory is available.
Related material: See also the records of St. Andrew's United Church and St. Andrew's Presbyterian Church for additional material pertaining to Schreiber Methodist Church.
No further accruals are expected.
Standard number area
Subject access points
Place access points
Name access points
- Winnipeg St. Andrew's Presbyterian Church (Subject)
- Emerson St. Andrew's United Church (Subject)
- North Shore Pastoral charge (Subject)
Genre access points
Description record identifier
Rules or conventions
Level of detail
Dates of creation, revision and deletion
Language of description