Title and statement of responsibility area
Ross United Church fonds
General material designation
Other title information
Title statements of responsibility
Level of description
Edition statement of responsibility
Class of material specific details area
Statement of scale (cartographic)
Statement of projection (cartographic)
Statement of coordinates (cartographic)
Statement of scale (architectural)
Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)
Dates of creation area
1885 - 1993 (Creation)
Physical description area
4 folders, 3 volumes textual material.
Publisher's series area
Title proper of publisher's series
Parallel titles of publisher's series
Other title information of publisher's series
Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series
Numbering within publisher's series
Note on publisher's series
Archival description area
Name of creator
The United Church in Whitemouth has existed in the Manitoba community of Whitemouth since 1925. Its predecessor was a Methodist and Presbyterian congregation that shared the same church building built ca.1900. At Union, the Whitemouth Methodist/ Presbyterian Mission was named Whitemouth United Church, but in 1949 it was renamed Ross United Church. Generally missionaries, superannuated men and student supply served the congregation. In 1958 the Beausejour Pastoral charge was expanded to include Whitemouth and Seven Sisters. An ordained minister was called to serve the charge, which was then known as Springfield. A new church building was constructed in Whitemouth in 1965 and furnished with the furniture from the old church. The old church building was demolished in 1979. In 1966, Whitemouth and Seven Sisters were separated from the Beausejour charge and once again served by lay supply. In May of 1970, the congregation at Seven Sisters was disbanded by Presbytery and its assets were turned over to the Whitemouth congregation. From 1982 to 1985, Whitemouth and West Hawk Lake were briefly joined in joint support of the ministry (they had also shared supply under the Home Missions Board). Since that time, Whitemouth has continued on as a single point charge. Whitemouth and its associated preaching points were part of Winnipeg Presbytery until 1963 when Selkirk Presbytery was created.
The records of Whitemouth / Ross United Church came to The United Church of Canada Archives-Conference of Manitoba and Northwestern Ontario as part of a transfer from the Whitemouth Pastoral Charge in 2003.
Scope and content
The surviving records of Whitemouth / Ross United include: records of Annual Congregational Meetings and Annual Reports, including annual reports from the Whitemouth/ West Hawk Lake Pastoral Charge (1983), and from the Whitemouth Pastoral Charge (1985, 1990, and 1993); minutes for the Annual and Church Board Meetings (1967-1987); records of Congregational Activities, including a newsletter (1992); Sacramental Registers pertaining to Baptisms (1886-1971), and Marriages (1923 - July 1981); records of the Board of Stewards, including minutes (1966-1981; records of the Session, including a Communion Roll (1885-1966) and Membership and Transfer certificates (1929, 1955-1990).
Immediate source of acquisition
Language of material
Script of material
Location of originals
Availability of other formats
Restrictions on access
No restrictions on access.
Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication
Item level inventory and series description available.
Further accruals expected.
Standard number area
Subject access points
Place access points
Genre access points
Description record identifier
Rules or conventions
Level of detail
Dates of creation, revision and deletion
Language of description