Roman Catholic Archdiocese of Winnipeg, Holy Ghost Church (Winnipeg, Man)

Identity area

Type of entity

Corporate body

Authorized form of name

Roman Catholic Archdiocese of Winnipeg, Holy Ghost Church (Winnipeg, Man)

Parallel form(s) of name

Standardized form(s) of name according to other rules

Other form(s) of name

Identifiers for corporate bodies

Description area

Dates of existence

History

In 1898 a Slavic priest was appointed to serve Prairie people who were natives of Poland, Czechoslovakia, the Ukraine, and Germany. In 1899 construction began on a church for them, and Holy Ghost was blessed in 1900. Holy Ghost received its first pastor in 1901 and a school was built in 1902. The parish was canonically erected in 1912. Although the Ukrainians and Germans soon separated from Holy Ghost, the church was enlarged in 1909. In 1917 the new Polish parish of St. John Cantius was created, dividing the Polish people. In 1958 a new school was built and a parish credit untion was established in 1961. The parish was served by Polish Oblates.

Places

Legal status

Functions, occupations and activities

Mandates/sources of authority

Internal structures/genealogy

General context

Relationships area

Access points area

Occupations

Control area

Authority record identifier

Institution identifier

Rules and/or conventions used

Status

Level of detail

Dates of creation, revision and deletion

Language(s)

Script(s)

Sources

Maintenance notes

  • Clipboard

  • Export

  • EAC