Fonds OW.079 - Robinson's Spur, Chapel of the Mustard Seed fonds

Title and statement of responsibility area

Title proper

Robinson's Spur, Chapel of the Mustard Seed fonds

General material designation

Parallel title

Other title information

Title statements of responsibility

Title notes

Level of description

Fonds

Reference code

CA DRL OW.079

Edition area

Edition statement

Edition statement of responsibility

Class of material specific details area

Statement of scale (cartographic)

Statement of projection (cartographic)

Statement of coordinates (cartographic)

Statement of scale (architectural)

Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)

Dates of creation area

Date(s)

  • 1986 (Creation)

Physical description area

Physical description

1 file folder
5 still images

Publisher's series area

Title proper of publisher's series

Parallel titles of publisher's series

Other title information of publisher's series

Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series

Numbering within publisher's series

Note on publisher's series

Archival description area

Name of creator

Administrative history

The Mustard Seed Chapel was originally one of many chapels in the Parish of Dynevor, St. Peter. In 1901, The Mustard Seed Chapel was built at the mouth of the Red River on the Salamona Channel by a community of Indian and Metis families who were fishermen, trappers and loggers in the surrounding bush and marshes. The Chapel was also their school. It was also called "The Little Indian Church." Between 1907 and 1910, the Chapel appears in the Synod Journal Lists as a Chapel within the Parish of St. Peter, Dynevor. Between 1911 and 1922, it appears in the Synod Journal Lists as a Chapel within the Parish of Robinson's Spur. From 1924 to 1927 the Chapel is listed in the Synod Journal Lists as a chapel within the Parish of Whytewold. At this time, the congregation attempted to restore the church. Lacking funds, the project was completed with the help of Christ Church, Selkirk. The clergyman for much of this time was the Rev Benjamin McKenzie. By 1940, most of the original congregation had moved away and the Chapel fell victim to vandalism. The parish of Whytewold assumed the maintenance and care of the Chapel, and on 6 March 1940, Whytewold`s vestry voted to move the chapel to the cemetery at Robinson's Spur, whose church had previously burned down. The Chapel has been renovated, repaired, repainted and reopened. The first service in the restored Chapel was held 12 August 1979. The Chapel remains open for an annual service in the summer.

Custodial history

Parish to Diocesan Archives.

Scope and content

The records of Robinson's Spur, Chapel of the Mustard Seed held at the Diocesan Archives include only a Research File.

Notes area

Physical condition

Immediate source of acquisition

Arrangement

Language of material

Script of material

Location of originals

Research materials are stored in the Lower Vault. Still Images are filed by title and are located in the Still Images - Rural Parish Collection.

Availability of other formats

Restrictions on access

None.

Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication

Finding aids

Rural Parishes Finding Aid

Associated materials

Related material: See All Saints, Netley (OW.063) and Whytewold, All Saints (OW.103)

Related materials

Accruals

None expected.

Language of material note

English

Alternative identifier(s)

Standard number area

Standard number

Access points

Subject access points

Place access points

Name access points

Genre access points

Control area

Description record identifier

Institution identifier

Rules or conventions

Status

Level of detail

Dates of creation, revision and deletion

Language of description

  • English

Script of description

Sources

Accession area

Related subjects

Related people and organizations

Related places

Related genres