Title and statement of responsibility area
Robertson Memorial Presbyterian Church fonds
General material designation
Other title information
Title statements of responsibility
Level of description
CA UCA Ex-11; Ex-37; Ex-54; 81-28
Edition statement of responsibility
Class of material specific details area
Statement of scale (cartographic)
Statement of projection (cartographic)
Statement of coordinates (cartographic)
Statement of scale (architectural)
Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)
Dates of creation area
Physical description area
.5m textual records, other material
Publisher's series area
Title proper of publisher's series
Parallel titles of publisher's series
Other title information of publisher's series
Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series
Numbering within publisher's series
Note on publisher's series
Archival description area
Name of creator
Robertson Memorial Presbyterian Church existed in Winnipeg from 1911 until 1925. Robertson Memorial Church resulted from the union of Dufferin Avenue Presbyterian Church (1904-1911) and the Albert Avenue Mission (1907-1911). Dufferin Avenue Presbyterian Church was originally initiated by St. Giles Church as a mission station in 1901. The Dufferin mission was located on the north west corner of Dufferin Avenue and McGregor Street under the direction of a student of Manitoba College. The Presbytery of Winnipeg recognized the congregation and mission under the name of Dufferin Avenue Presbyterian Church in 1904. Upon joining Robertson Memorial in 1911, the Dufferin Avenue Presbyterian Church structure was sold. The other predecessor of Robertson Memorial, the Alfred Avenue Mission, was established in 1907 by the Presbyterian Woman's Union. The Mission was located at 732 Alfred Ave, though the building was quickly outgrown. In 1911, Alfred Ave Mission joined with Dufferin Ave Presbyterian Church and construction of Roberston Memorial Church began on a site at the corner of Burrows and McKenzie. Robertson Memorial Church and Institute was officially opened and dedicated in November 1911. By 1912, Robertson Memorial Church had around 350 members and the Institute was offering Boys Clubs, Girls Clubs, Kindergarten, Sunday School, Junior Christian Endeavour, Bible Study Class, Mother's Clubs and fresh air camps. Eventually the name of Robertson Institute was changed to Robertson 'House'. Robertson Memorial Church ran into some financial difficulties during the First World War and was taken over by the Home Missions Board. Robertson Memorial Church joined the United Church of Canada in 1925.
The records of Robertson Memorial Presbyterian Church came to the conference archives as part of several transfers of records between 1970 and 1981.
Scope and content
The surviving records of Robertson Memorial Presbyterian Church are arranged in the following series: Membership Rolls and records of the Session, including minutes, 1901-1919; records of the Board of Managers, including minutes, 1911-1918; records of Annual Congregational Meetings and Annual Reports, 1901-1925; records pertaining to church property, including financial records, 1905-1919; records of lay associations, including the Ladies Friendly Society, 1921-1925, and reference material, including correspondence, a photographic sketch and historical material.
Immediate source of acquisition
Language of material
Script of material
Location of originals
Availability of other formats
Restrictions on access
Some restrictions may apply.
Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication
Finding aid and item level inventory available.
Related material: See records of Robertson Memorial United Church for records pertaining to Robertson Memorial (Presbyterian) Church dating from 1907.
No further accruals expected.
Standard number area
Subject access points
Place access points
Name access points
- Winnipeg Presbytery (Subject)
Genre access points
Description record identifier
Rules or conventions
Level of detail
Dates of creation, revision and deletion
Language of description