Title and statement of responsibility area
Rivers United Church fonds
General material designation
Other title information
Title statements of responsibility
Level of description
CA UCA Acc: 78-11; 83-7; 86-15; 04-13; 05-39; 09-20
Edition statement of responsibility
Class of material specific details area
Statement of scale (cartographic)
Statement of projection (cartographic)
Statement of coordinates (cartographic)
Statement of scale (architectural)
Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)
Dates of creation area
Physical description area
50 cm textual material.
Publisher's series area
Title proper of publisher's series
Parallel titles of publisher's series
Other title information of publisher's series
Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series
Numbering within publisher's series
Note on publisher's series
Archival description area
Name of creator
Rivers United Church has existed in the Manitoba community of Rivers, located northwest of Brandon, since 1925. Its predecessor was a Local Union formed in 1920, between Rivers Methodist Church and Knox Presbyterian Church. Rev. W. Sallans, the former Methodist minister, was called as the first Union minister. He presided over a field that included Rivers, Daly, and Pettapiece. The Presbyterian Church continued to be used as the United Church, but the Methodist Church was added to the east side of the former Presbyterian Church in 1931. It was removed in 1955 and became a storage shed. It was replaced with the Friendship Hall. Also at this time, the Sanctuary was remodelled and the basement was completed. At the time of description, Rivers is a stand-alone parish in the Assiniboine Presbytery.
The records of Rivers United Church came to The United Church of Canada Archives-Conference of Manitoba and Northwestern Ontario as part of a transfer of records from Rev. G.K.Lough in 1978; from Doug Flanders in 1983 and 1986, from Rev. Glenna Beauchamp in 2004 and 2009; and from Rivers United Church in 2005.
Scope and content
The records of Rivers United Church include: a Sacramental register pertaining to Baptisms (1916-1928), Marriages (1917-1946), Burials (1919-1944), Communion Roll (1909-1927); Communicants Roll (1931-1944); records of the Official Board (1920-1961); records of the congregation (1939-1954,1981-1993); records of the Session (1921-1967); records of the Board of Stewards (1940-1955); records of the Board of Trustees (1926-1930, 1960); financial records (1925-1969); records of the Sunday School (1920-1969); records of the W.M.S. (1926-1961); records of the Ladies Aid (1926-1961); records of the Young People's Union (1938-1939); records of the Beavers Trail Rangers (1939-1943); history (1983-2008); records of the Building Committee (1926-1930, 1960, 1969); records of the C.G.I.T. (1954-1985); and records of the Explorers (1974-1977).
Immediate source of acquisition
Language of material
Script of material
Location of originals
Availability of other formats
Restrictions on access
Some restrictions on access to Baptism, Marriage and Burial Registers may apply.
Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication
Item level inventory is available.
Related material: See also the records of the Rivers Pastoral charge for other material pertaining to Rivers United Church.
Further accruals are expected.
Standard number area
Subject access points
Place access points
Name access points
- Winnipeg Knox Presbyterian Church (Subject)
Genre access points
Description record identifier
Rules or conventions
Level of detail
Dates of creation, revision and deletion
Language of description