Title and statement of responsibility area
Restigouche Valley Church fonds
General material designation
Other title information
Title statements of responsibility
Level of description
CA CMBS Volume 649
Edition statement of responsibility
Class of material specific details area
Statement of scale (cartographic)
Statement of projection (cartographic)
Statement of coordinates (cartographic)
Statement of scale (architectural)
Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)
Dates of creation area
Physical description area
1 cm of textual records
Publisher's series area
Title proper of publisher's series
Parallel titles of publisher's series
Other title information of publisher's series
Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series
Numbering within publisher's series
Note on publisher's series
Archival description area
Name of creator
The Restigouche Valley Church in Campbellton, NB, began through the efforts of two Christian couples, Janice and Robert Buhr, and Steve and Shirley Gader. The couples moved to Campbellton in the Spring of 1979 to set up a medical practice. They also started hosting Bible studies and coffee fellowship meetings. In 1983, the Gaders went to Zaire with Mennonite Brethren Missions and Services. With their departure, came two new couples, Paul and Apryl Taillon and Ron and Connie Siemens. Ron and Paul joined the medical practice, and all three couples now combined efforts to establish a fully functioning church. The congregation was called the Restigouche Valley Church, named after the nearby Restigouche River. Its charting service was held in 2 December 1984, at the town hall. After moving six times in three years, the congregation acquired and renovated a former seafood restaurant in 1988. Youth Mission 100 workers helped with the renovations. The church serves a community made up largely of francophone Acadians and Scottish and Irish Anglophones. It has had a strong relationship with the other Mennonite Brethren churches in Quebec and the Maritimes. Membership has remained under 50 since its inception. The following pastoral staff have served the congregation: Siegfried Wall (1985-1996), Bob Cowan (1996-1997), Bill Jewett (1997-2003), and Joel Gagnon (2003-). Sources: Mennonite Reporter (4 February 1985): 12; Mennonite Brethren Herald (27 May 1988): 72, (17 February 1989): 22, (12 September 2003): 25; Epp, Marlene. "Restigouche Valley Church (Campbellton, NB)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. April 1986. Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 5 June 2006 http://www.gameo.org/encyclopedia/contents/R488.html; "Restigouche Valley Church, Campbellton, N.B. fonds," CMBS, volume 649:1; Canadian MB Conference Yearbooks (1985-2004).
It is unclear when the materials were donated to the archives.
Scope and content
This fonds consists of a photocopy of the Restigouche Valley Church Charting Service advertisement, and a three page historical sketch by Robert Buhr (1984).
Immediate source of acquisition
Language of material
Script of material
Location of originals
Availability of other formats
Restrictions on access
No restrictions on access.
Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication
Finding aid consists of a file list. Formerly classified under the Canadian Conference of Mennonite Brethren Churches inventory number BG502.
Related material: Related CMBS collections: Board of Evangelism fonds, volumes 138-162. Peter Penner fonds, volumes 1026-1027. Canadian MB Conference Yearbook collection, see: Board of Evangelism reports.
Finding aid created by Donovan Giesbrecht, 5 June 2006.
Standard number area
Subject access points
Place access points
Name access points
Genre access points
Description record identifier
Rules or conventions
Level of detail
Dates of creation, revision and deletion
Language of description