Series - Records of Lay Associations series

Title and statement of responsibility area

Title proper

Records of Lay Associations series

General material designation

Parallel title

Other title information

Title statements of responsibility

Title notes

Level of description

Series

Reference code

Edition area

Edition statement

Edition statement of responsibility

Class of material specific details area

Statement of scale (cartographic)

Statement of projection (cartographic)

Statement of coordinates (cartographic)

Statement of scale (architectural)

Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)

Dates of creation area

Date(s)

  • 1904-1929 (Creation)

Physical description area

Physical description

6 volumes

Publisher's series area

Title proper of publisher's series

Parallel titles of publisher's series

Other title information of publisher's series

Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series

Numbering within publisher's series

Note on publisher's series

Archival description area

Name of creator

Administrative history

The earliest lay associations for women of the Presbyterian and Methodist churches included the various Ladies Aids as well as groups such as Sewing Circles, Guilds, and Willing Workers. The purpose of these groups was to support the work of the local church in areas such as the furnishing of the manse and other church buildings and providing resources for such initiatives as Christian Education. In 1925, most of these groups were transformed in the United Church Woman's Association, however, many kept their original names. Many congregations also provided members for a Women's Missionary Society that supported the work of the church in Home and Foreign Missions. In 1962, these two organisations for United Church women's initiatives were joined together as the United Church Women. A united Woman's Missionary Society with membership from both Grace and St. James United Churches was formed in January of 1929. The United Church Home Mission Field at Ethelbert was a perennial project. The Evening Auxiliary of the Woman's Missionary Society was organised as early as 1933 to provide an opportunity for fellowship and service for young mothers and working women. A Ladies Aid was also active from 1929 with the care of the manse and congregational dinners as their special projects. Other lay organisations formed at Dauphin First United included Tuxis and Trail Rangers as well as a Young People's Society and Hi-C. Canadian Girls in Training had been active from 1926.

Custodial history

Scope and content

Items described here include records of the St. James Presbyterian Woman's Home Missionary Society, 1904-1914; records of the St. James Presbyterian Woman's Foreign Missionary Society, 1905-1910; records of the St. James Presbyterian Woman's Missionary Society, 1922-1929; and records of the St. James Presbyterian Ladies Aid, 1923-1929.

Notes area

Physical condition

Immediate source of acquisition

Arrangement

Language of material

Script of material

Location of originals

Availability of other formats

Restrictions on access

Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication

Finding aids

Item level inventory is available.

Associated materials

Related material: Minutes of the St. James Brotherhood and Sisterhood, a young people's group, and dating from 1924 and 1925 are described with the records of the Dauphin United Church-Dauphin First United Church Young People's Society.

Related materials

Accruals

Alternative identifier(s)

Standard number area

Standard number

Access points

Subject access points

Place access points

Name access points

Genre access points

Control area

Description record identifier

Institution identifier

Rules or conventions

Status

Level of detail

Dates of creation, revision and deletion

Language of description

  • English

Script of description

Sources

Accession area

Related subjects

Related people and organizations

Related places

Related genres