Fonds OW.076 - Posen/Seamo, St James fonds

Title and statement of responsibility area

Title proper

Posen/Seamo, St James fonds

General material designation

Parallel title

Other title information

Title statements of responsibility

Title notes

Level of description

Fonds

Reference code

CA DRL OW.076

Edition area

Edition statement

Edition statement of responsibility

Class of material specific details area

Statement of scale (cartographic)

Statement of projection (cartographic)

Statement of coordinates (cartographic)

Statement of scale (architectural)

Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)

Dates of creation area

Date(s)

  • 1888-1989 (Creation)

Physical description area

Physical description

13 cm of textual records
2 still images
Microfilm

Publisher's series area

Title proper of publisher's series

Parallel titles of publisher's series

Other title information of publisher's series

Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series

Numbering within publisher's series

Note on publisher's series

Archival description area

Name of creator

Administrative history

The parish of St James, Seamo was formed by the Right Reverend Robert Machray on 17 May 1888, although there had been an Anglican presence in the district since the 1870s. The parish was originally known as St James, Posen. "Posen" was later dropped in favour of Seamo. The first St James church was a log building, and was built in 1887 with the support of the Society of Promoting Christian Knowledge, on NE 16-18-4W. The building was moved to SW 3-19-4W a few years later. The church was replaced by a frame building in 1897. A cemetery was consecrated on 19 October, 1913. The parsonage, built sometime in the 1900s, was destroyed by fire in 1914. By the 1960s, the church was no longer used for Anglican services and a Mennonite congregation held services there for a time. On 28 June 1968, the church building was secularized and the parish was dissolved a month later. Some furnishings and Memorial plaques were moved to Clarkleigh United Church. The church was torn down in 1976 and a memorial cairn was erected on the site. The cemetery has been transferred to the Rural Municipality of Coldwell. During its history, St James, Posen/Seamo was closely associated with St John, Eriksdale (OW.025), St Cuthbert, Lily Bay (OW.075), and All Saints, Scotch Bay (OW.086). Clergy from Seamo also provided services for in homes and schools for the communities of Oak Point and Lundar.

Custodial history

Parish to Diocesan Archives in 1984 and 1998.

Scope and content

Records of St James, Posen/Seamo held at the Diocesan Archives include: Canonical Documents (1888-1968); Titles (1989); Sacramental Registers (1906-1959); Vestry Minutes (1926-1949); Account Ledger (1926-1934); Legal Correspondence (1913-1989); still images. Research file.

Notes area

Physical condition

Immediate source of acquisition

Arrangement

Language of material

Script of material

Location of originals

The Sacramental Registers are located in the Upper Vault. The remaining files and bound volumes are stored in the Lower Vault.

Availability of other formats

The Parish Registers are also available on microfilm reels #9 and #W27.

Restrictions on access

Use of parish registers limited to Archives staff. See access policy.

Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication

Finding aids

Rural Parishes Finding Aid

Associated materials

Related material: See also St John, Eriksdale (OW.025), St Cuthbert, Lily Bay (OW.076), and All Saints, Scotch Bay (OW.086). The records of St James, Posen/Seamo also include Vestry Minutes from the Oak Point congregation. See W.042 General Missionary MS WA history WA 32

Related materials

Accruals

None expected.

Language of material note

English

Alternative identifier(s)

Standard number area

Standard number

Access points

Subject access points

Place access points

Name access points

Genre access points

Control area

Description record identifier

Institution identifier

Rules or conventions

Status

Level of detail

Dates of creation, revision and deletion

Language of description

  • English

Script of description

Sources

Accession area

Related subjects

Related people and organizations

Related places

Related genres