Title and statement of responsibility area
Portage la Prairie, St. Mary la Prairie fonds
General material designation
Other title information
Title statements of responsibility
Level of description
CA DRL OW.074
Edition statement of responsibility
Class of material specific details area
Statement of scale (cartographic)
Statement of projection (cartographic)
Statement of coordinates (cartographic)
Statement of scale (architectural)
Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)
Dates of creation area
1854 - 1997 (Creation)
Physical description area
67 cm of textual material and photographs.
Publisher's series area
Title proper of publisher's series
Parallel titles of publisher's series
Other title information of publisher's series
Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series
Numbering within publisher's series
Note on publisher's series
Archival description area
Name of creator
The Rev. William Cockran bought land east of the city of Portage la Prairie, Manitoba, for a church and cemetery in 1851. The property, located close to the river, belonged to Chief Pequakekan, and was purchased for the price of one bushel of wheat from every settler during the chief's lifetime. Some parishioners from St Andrews, St Andrew (OW.091) helped Cockran establish the new Parish. A school was built on the site before the church was built in 1853. This was built near the current site of the cemetery in an area then known as Pratt's Landing. The church was described as having a "10 foot square tower sixty feet high with a spire surmounted by a cross." This church was eventually moved to a location on present day Portage Avenue. A cairn has been erected to mark the site of the first St Mary's Church. When the congregation became to large, services were held in the Court House. The present day property, on 2nd Street S.W., was secured and a new church was built in 1882. The church was consecrated in 1897, only for the congregation to discover that the building was condemned. A new church was built and opened 29 December 1898. This building was consecrated by the Right Rev SP Matheson on 17 November 1929. A parish hall was built in 1913. From 1968-1976, St Mary was part of the Portage Area Team Ministry with St Luke, Oakville (OW.065), St Anne, Poplar Point (OW.073), and St George, Westbourne (OW.102). At the time of description, St Mary, Portage la Prairie is an independent parish.
The records of St Mary la Prairie came to the Diocesan archives as a result of a transfer of records from the Parish in 1984 and 2000.
Scope and content
The surviving records of St Mary la Prairie include: Canonical Documents (1913 - 1929); Titles (1896); Sacramental Registers (1854 - 1984); Record of Services (1943 - 1983); records of the Ladies Aid (1908 - 1912, 1954 - 1957); records of the Senior Woman's Auxiliary (1924 - 1928); Administrative records (1913); Baptisms, Marriages and Burials (1874 - 1875); records of the Cemetery (1969 - 1994); and photographs ( - 1997). Research File.
Immediate source of acquisition
Language of material
Script of material
Location of originals
Registers, Canonical Documents, Titles and the research file can be found in the Upper Vault. The photographs and remaining files and bound volumes are located in the Lower Vault.
Availability of other formats
Parish Registers are available on Microfilm Rolls 7 and 8.
Restrictions on access
Access is restricted for one folder (OW.074/6). Use of Parish Registers is restricted to Archives staff.
Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication
Rural Parishes Finding Aid
Related material: Rural Deanery of Portage La Prairie; Oakville, St Luke and Missions (OW.065); Patrick V Lee fonds; "The Anglican Church from the Bay to the Rockies" by TCB Boon and "The Road to the Rapids" by Robert Coutts in the Library Collection.
Further accruals are expected.
Language of material note
Standard number area
Subject access points
Place access points
Genre access points
Description record identifier
Rules or conventions
Level of detail
Dates of creation, revision and deletion
Language of description