Fonds OW.073 - Poplar Point, St Anne fonds

Title and statement of responsibility area

Title proper

Poplar Point, St Anne fonds

General material designation

Parallel title

Other title information

Title statements of responsibility

Title notes

Level of description

Fonds

Reference code

CA DRL OW.073

Edition area

Edition statement

Edition statement of responsibility

Class of material specific details area

Statement of scale (cartographic)

Statement of projection (cartographic)

Statement of coordinates (cartographic)

Statement of scale (architectural)

Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)

Dates of creation area

Date(s)

  • 1871 - 2002 (Creation)

Physical description area

Physical description

30 cm of textual material and photographs
Microfilm
Still images

Publisher's series area

Title proper of publisher's series

Parallel titles of publisher's series

Other title information of publisher's series

Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series

Numbering within publisher's series

Note on publisher's series

Archival description area

Name of creator

Administrative history

The Rev William Cockran organized the Parish of St Anne, three kilometres west of Poplar Point, to help accommodate the growing populations in Headingley and Portage. Construction on St Anne's church began in the winter of 1862, during which time the congregation requested a resident clergyman. The Bishop agreed to provide one, on the condition that a parsonage also be built. The building materials were all donated by the Poplar Point community, and the church's furniture and religious objects were also handmade by the local parishioners. It was built with a "Red River" frame, and was an 8x16 m, two cell structure consisting of an assembly and tower. The exterior of the church was covered in cove deep siding and has not been significantly altered over the years. The church was completed in 1864 and, although his house was not yet completed, The Rev John Chapman held his first service at St Anne's on New Year's Day, 1865. The Hudson's Bay Company donated a bell in 1871 that had been used for time signals at York Factory. The parish was officially formed by Right Rev R Machray on 18 June 1886. In 1912, the parish hall of St Mary La Prairie (OW.074) was moved into the village of Poplar Point. Discussions then began regarding the possibility of moving St. Anne's next to the Parish Hall, but the Bishop felt that the structure was not stable enough to be moved. New rectories were built in 1916 and 1965. The church underwent major renovations in the mid 1930s. A cement foundation was poured, the walls were braced and a false floor was installed. Other significant restoration efforts were made in 1996-2000. Some of the highlights include the re-siding and re-shingling of the bell tower, the restoration of the log walls and the repair of the foundation. The entire church has also been re-sided, had the wiring upgraded, and been repainted, inside and out. St Anne's church is one of the oldest log churches in continuous use in Western Canada and has been designated a historic site by Manitoba's Department of Cultural Affairs and Historical Resources. Over the years, clergy serving St Anne's have also served Westbourne, St George (OW.102), Carmen, St John (OW.013), High Bluff, St Margaret (OW.039), and Oakville, St Luke (OW.065). Today, services are held twice monthly in the church in the summer, and once a month for the remainder of the year in the Parish Hall.

Custodial history

The records of St Anne, Poplar Point came to the Diocesan archives as a transfer of records from the Parish in 1984 and from the Diocese in 1990 and 1998.

Scope and content

The surviving records of St Anne, Poplar Point include: Canonical Documents (1886-1913); Titles (1877-1984); Blueprints/Plans (1977); Sacramental Registers (1871-1962); Vestry Minutes (1875-1903); Record of Services (1912-1966); records of the Woman's Auxiliary (1936-1953); still images (1920-2002). Research File

Notes area

Physical condition

Immediate source of acquisition

Arrangement

Language of material

Script of material

Location of originals

Registers, Canonical Documents, Titles and the research file can be found in the Upper Vault. The blueprints are located in the map cabinet downstairs. Some of the photographs and the Shared Box are located in the Lower Vault. The other photographs, detailing restoration work, are temporarily being kept in the research file.

Availability of other formats

Parish Registers are also on Microfilm Roll 7

Restrictions on access

Use of Parish Registers is restricted to Archives staff.

Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication

Finding aids

Rural Parishes Finding Aid

Associated materials

Related material: M..50 Robert Martin fonds; Rural Deanery of Portage; Oakville, St Luke and Missions (OW.065); Baie St Paul (OW.004); Winnipeg, St James (W.022); High Bluff, St Margaret (OW.039); Carman, St John (OW.013) Westbourne, St George (OW.102)

Related materials

Accruals

Further accruals are expected.

Language of material note

English.

Alternative identifier(s)

Standard number area

Standard number

Access points

Subject access points

Place access points

Name access points

Genre access points

Control area

Description record identifier

Institution identifier

Rules or conventions

Status

Level of detail

Dates of creation, revision and deletion

Language of description

  • English

Script of description

Sources

Accession area

Related subjects

Related people and organizations

Related places

Related genres