Title and statement of responsibility area
Poplar Point Presbyterian Church fonds
General material designation
Other title information
Title statements of responsibility
Level of description
CA UCA Acc: 92 - 17; 2000 -30
Edition statement of responsibility
Class of material specific details area
Statement of scale (cartographic)
Statement of projection (cartographic)
Statement of coordinates (cartographic)
Statement of scale (architectural)
Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)
Dates of creation area
1876 - 1907 (Creation)
Physical description area
1 folder textual material.
4 volumes textual material.
4 volumes textual material.
Publisher's series area
Title proper of publisher's series
Parallel titles of publisher's series
Other title information of publisher's series
Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series
Numbering within publisher's series
Note on publisher's series
Archival description area
Name of creator
Poplar Point Presbyterian Church began when Rev. John Black came to preach in Poplar Point in 1866. Poplar Point had its own minister, Rev. Samuel Donaldson, by 1872. The Presbyterian and Methodist congregations shared the Methodist church until the Presbyterian church was built in 1889 on a portion of Parish Lot 81. The George Setter house was used as a manse until one was built in 1892. Poplar Point Presbyterian Church was associated with congregations at High Bluff, Meadow Lea, Portage la Prairie, Rat Creek (Burnside), Rosser and Warren. On May 24, 1924, Poplar Point's Presbyterians and Methodists entered a Local Union with Setters and High Bluff. The Rev. R.O. Armstrong presided over the new charge. In 1925, the congregation officially joined the United Church of Canada to become Poplar Point United Church. The former Methodist church was used for worship while the Presbyterian church and property were sold in 1928 to John Dyer. The manse sold in 1935. Poplar Point, Manitoba is located in the Rural Municipality of Portage la Prairie.
The records of the Poplar Point Presbyterian Church came to The United Church of Canada Archives-Conference of Manitoba and Northwestern Ontario as part of a transfer of records from the High Bluff / Oakland charge in 1992, and from the Manitoba Archives in 2000.
Scope and content
The surviving records of the Poplar Point Presbyterian Church include: a Communion Roll (1901-1907) and Sacramental Registers, pertaining to Baptisms (1876-1878, 1880, and 1893-1901), Marriages (1876-1877 and 1880), and Burials (1876).
Immediate source of acquisition
Language of material
Script of material
Location of originals
Availability of other formats
Restrictions on access
No restrictions on access.
Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication
Item level inventory is available.
Related material: See also the records of Warren - Rosser Pastoral charge for additional material pertaining to Poplar Point Presbyterian Church.
No further accruals are expected.
Standard number area
Subject access points
Place access points
Name access points
- Warren - Rosser Pastoral charge (Subject)
Genre access points
Description record identifier
Rules or conventions
Level of detail
Dates of creation, revision and deletion
Language of description