Fonds Acc: 1987 - 47; 1999 - 73 - Pine Falls United Church fonds

Title and statement of responsibility area

Title proper

Pine Falls United Church fonds

General material designation

Parallel title

Other title information

Title statements of responsibility

Title notes

Level of description

Fonds

Reference code

CA UCA Acc: 1987 - 47; 1999 - 73

Edition area

Edition statement

Edition statement of responsibility

Class of material specific details area

Statement of scale (cartographic)

Statement of projection (cartographic)

Statement of coordinates (cartographic)

Statement of scale (architectural)

Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)

Dates of creation area

Date(s)

  • 1927 - 1998 (Creation)

Physical description area

Physical description

.5m textual material.

Publisher's series area

Title proper of publisher's series

Parallel titles of publisher's series

Other title information of publisher's series

Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series

Numbering within publisher's series

Note on publisher's series

Archival description area

Name of creator

Biographical history

Pine Falls is located northwest of Winnipeg on the Winnipeg River, just before it enters Lake Winnipeg. As Pine Falls (originally known as Fort Alexander) began to be developed by the Manitoba Paper Co. in 1925, the first church services in the community were conducted in the work camps by Mr. Fryer, an Anglican missionary at the nearby Fort Alexander Reserve. In 1926 Winnipeg Presbytery sent Rev. Jack Matheson to conduct services in the Camp Hall and in 1927 a resident student minister, Rev. J. King Gordon was sent in. Rev. Gordon held services through 1926 and 1927, first in the pool hall, then the school, and then later in the construction camp dining hall, which became a community hall as soon as construction was finished. Around 1927 Rev. Gordon helped to organise a congregation of 30 to 50 members and plans were made to build a church. Funds were received from the Board of Home Missions as well as the Manitoba Paper Co. The church was built in 1928 and dedicated in November by Rev. C.W. Gordon. After much hard work to reduce the debt, the charge became self supporting charge in the early 40s. A manse was built in 1941 and a substantial addition to the sanctuary as well as a new Christian Education building was completed in 1958. The old church structure was severely damaged during a fire in the winter of 1996/97 and this necessitated an extensive reconstruction of the church that was completed in 1998.

Custodial history

The records of the Pine Falls Pastoral Charge described here came to The United Church of Canada Archives-Conference of Manitoba and Northwestern Ontario in two transfers in 1987 and 1999. A church history dating from 1952 explains that many early records were lost. This is born out by the surviving record which largely dates from the 1930s and after.

Scope and content

The survivng records of the Pine Falls Pastoral Charge include: Sacramental registers pertaining to Baptisms (1929, 1942 to 1974), Marriages (1927-1973), and Burials (1947-1973); records of the Congregational Membership, including minutes of Session (1932-1975); records of the Congregational meetings, including annual meeting minutes (1930-1970), minutes of the Official Board (1930-1953), and annual reports (1987-1993); Records of the Board and Committees, including receipts and disbursements (1927-1961); records of the Stewards and Property Management, including minutes of the Board of Stewards (1936-1949, 1965-1975), and minutes of the Unified Board dating from (1975-1984); records of Christian Education, including minutes of Sunday School meetings (1957-1968); records of worship and special services, including an order of service (1998); records of Lay Associations, including minutes of meetings of the Ladies' Association (1927-1939); and records of congregational activites, including a Church History (1952).

Notes area

Physical condition

Immediate source of acquisition

Arrangement

Language of material

Script of material

Location of originals

Availability of other formats

Restrictions on access

No restrictions on access.

Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication

Finding aids

Series descriptions; item lists available

Associated materials

Related materials

Accruals

Further accruals are expected.

Alternative identifier(s)

Standard number area

Standard number

Access points

Subject access points

Place access points

Name access points

Genre access points

Control area

Description record identifier

Institution identifier

Rules or conventions

Status

Level of detail

Dates of creation, revision and deletion

Language of description

  • English

Script of description

Sources

Accession area

Related subjects

Related people and organizations

Related places

Related genres