Fonds OW.070 - Pilot Mound, St John fonds

Title and statement of responsibility area

Title proper

Pilot Mound, St John fonds

General material designation

Parallel title

Other title information

Title statements of responsibility

Title notes

Level of description


Reference code


Edition area

Edition statement

Edition statement of responsibility

Class of material specific details area

Statement of scale (cartographic)

Statement of projection (cartographic)

Statement of coordinates (cartographic)

Statement of scale (architectural)

Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)

Dates of creation area


  • 1889-2002 (Creation)

Physical description area

Physical description

37 cm textual material
6 still images

Publisher's series area

Title proper of publisher's series

Parallel titles of publisher's series

Other title information of publisher's series

Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series

Numbering within publisher's series

Note on publisher's series

Archival description area

Name of creator

Administrative history

The parish of St John, Pilot Mound was formed on 22 January, 1889. Services were being held much earlier than that, however. The rector from Emerson had been conducting services in homes since 1882 until 1884. Once the parish was officially organized, services were taken by student ministers in charge of the Clearwater Mission. Robert Blackburn drew up plans for a church in early 1899. By the summer of that year, William Moffatt had completed construction. The first service was held 10 September 1899 and the church was consecrated 10 November of that year as well. Rev. T.H.J. Walton was the first resident minister in 1906. In 1924, St John, Pilot Mound was transferred to the Diocese of Brandon. A parish hall was built in 1927, which was also used as a theatre, sports complex, and in the 1950s, it was used as a high school classroom. In the fall of 1953, the parish hall and church were connected. A W.A. Memorial Plaque, made by Leo Mol, was placed in 1958. Following the retirement of its resident clergy in 1970, St John returned to the Diocese of Rupert`s Land temporarily and received service from Manitou (OW.051). The move became permanent in 1977 and Pilot Mound became one of the Pembina Hills Parishes, along with along with Altamont (OW.001), Clearwater (OW.016) Crystal City (OW.019), Kaleida (OW.043), Manitou (OW.051), New Haven (OW.064), and Pembina Crossing (OW.069). The Pembina Hills Parishes are currently engaging in Total Ministry, where Lay Readers are taking a greater role in leading worship service, administration and organization. On 23 February 1992, a special commissioning service was held at St John the Baptist, Manitou to commission lay readers. In Pilot Mound, Lay ministers now take morning prayer service and the Priest presides over Holy Communion services twice a month. St John, Pilot Mound also hosted the 102nd Synod in 1998. Pilot Mound is the first rural parish to host this event.

Custodial history

Parish to Diocese in 2001.

Scope and content

The records of St John held at the Diocese include: Canonical Documents (1889); Titles (1895-2002); Sacramental Registers (1942-1991); Record of Service Books (1911-1967); Minutes of Vestry and Annual Meetings (1944-2004); Minutes of the A.C.W. (1967-2001); A.C.W. Annual Reports (1980-2000); Parish Council Minutes (1931-1988); Brotherhood of St Andrew Minutes (1907-1914); Woman's Auxiliary Minutes (1921-1963); W.A. Evening Branch Minutes (1937-1947); W.A. Roll Call (1944-1991); W.A. Receipt Books (1928-1969); Junior Auxiliary Minutes (1959-1968); Sunday School Pledges; Sunday School Attendance (1907-1971); Sunday School Receipts (1965-1972); Ledger (1941-1958); Still Images; Research file.

Notes area

Physical condition

Immediate source of acquisition


Language of material

Script of material

Location of originals

The Canonical Documents, Titles, and Research are located in the Upper Vault. All other files and bound volumes are held in the Lower Vault. Still Images are filed by title in the Still Images Collection.

Availability of other formats

Restrictions on access

Use of Parish Registers is limited to Archive staff.

Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication

Finding aids

Rural Parishes Finding Aid

Associated materials

Related material: See the Sacramental Registers of Clearwater (OW.016) for entries pertaining to Pilot Mound.

Associated material: See also the Diocese of Brandon See also the local history book: Prairie Pride Land: Looking Back, 1998.

Related materials


Further accruals expected.

Language of material note


Alternative identifier(s)

Standard number area

Standard number

Access points

Subject access points

Place access points

Name access points

Genre access points

Control area

Description record identifier

Institution identifier

Rules or conventions


Level of detail

Dates of creation, revision and deletion

Language of description

  • English

Script of description


Accession area

Related subjects

Related people and organizations

Related places

Related genres