Title and statement of responsibility area
Pilot Mound, St John fonds
General material designation
Other title information
Title statements of responsibility
Level of description
CA DRL OW.070
Edition statement of responsibility
Class of material specific details area
Statement of scale (cartographic)
Statement of projection (cartographic)
Statement of coordinates (cartographic)
Statement of scale (architectural)
Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)
Dates of creation area
Physical description area
37 cm textual material
6 still images
6 still images
Publisher's series area
Title proper of publisher's series
Parallel titles of publisher's series
Other title information of publisher's series
Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series
Numbering within publisher's series
Note on publisher's series
Archival description area
Name of creator
The parish of St John, Pilot Mound was formed on 22 January, 1889. Services were being held much earlier than that, however. The rector from Emerson had been conducting services in homes since 1882 until 1884. Once the parish was officially organized, services were taken by student ministers in charge of the Clearwater Mission. Robert Blackburn drew up plans for a church in early 1899. By the summer of that year, William Moffatt had completed construction. The first service was held 10 September 1899 and the church was consecrated 10 November of that year as well. Rev. T.H.J. Walton was the first resident minister in 1906. In 1924, St John, Pilot Mound was transferred to the Diocese of Brandon. A parish hall was built in 1927, which was also used as a theatre, sports complex, and in the 1950s, it was used as a high school classroom. In the fall of 1953, the parish hall and church were connected. A W.A. Memorial Plaque, made by Leo Mol, was placed in 1958. Following the retirement of its resident clergy in 1970, St John returned to the Diocese of Rupert`s Land temporarily and received service from Manitou (OW.051). The move became permanent in 1977 and Pilot Mound became one of the Pembina Hills Parishes, along with along with Altamont (OW.001), Clearwater (OW.016) Crystal City (OW.019), Kaleida (OW.043), Manitou (OW.051), New Haven (OW.064), and Pembina Crossing (OW.069). The Pembina Hills Parishes are currently engaging in Total Ministry, where Lay Readers are taking a greater role in leading worship service, administration and organization. On 23 February 1992, a special commissioning service was held at St John the Baptist, Manitou to commission lay readers. In Pilot Mound, Lay ministers now take morning prayer service and the Priest presides over Holy Communion services twice a month. St John, Pilot Mound also hosted the 102nd Synod in 1998. Pilot Mound is the first rural parish to host this event.
Parish to Diocese in 2001.
Scope and content
The records of St John held at the Diocese include: Canonical Documents (1889); Titles (1895-2002); Sacramental Registers (1942-1991); Record of Service Books (1911-1967); Minutes of Vestry and Annual Meetings (1944-2004); Minutes of the A.C.W. (1967-2001); A.C.W. Annual Reports (1980-2000); Parish Council Minutes (1931-1988); Brotherhood of St Andrew Minutes (1907-1914); Woman's Auxiliary Minutes (1921-1963); W.A. Evening Branch Minutes (1937-1947); W.A. Roll Call (1944-1991); W.A. Receipt Books (1928-1969); Junior Auxiliary Minutes (1959-1968); Sunday School Pledges; Sunday School Attendance (1907-1971); Sunday School Receipts (1965-1972); Ledger (1941-1958); Still Images; Research file.
Immediate source of acquisition
Language of material
Script of material
Location of originals
The Canonical Documents, Titles, and Research are located in the Upper Vault. All other files and bound volumes are held in the Lower Vault. Still Images are filed by title in the Still Images Collection.
Availability of other formats
Restrictions on access
Use of Parish Registers is limited to Archive staff.
Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication
Rural Parishes Finding Aid
Related material: See the Sacramental Registers of Clearwater (OW.016) for entries pertaining to Pilot Mound.
Associated material: See also the Diocese of Brandon See also the local history book: Prairie Pride Land: Looking Back, 1998.
Further accruals expected.
Language of material note
Standard number area
Subject access points
Place access points
Name access points
- St Paul Parish, Clearwater (Subject)
Genre access points
Description record identifier
Rules or conventions
Level of detail
Dates of creation, revision and deletion
Language of description