Fonds OW.069 - Pembina Crossing, St Luke fonds

Title and statement of responsibility area

Title proper

Pembina Crossing, St Luke fonds

General material designation

Parallel title

Other title information

Title statements of responsibility

Title notes

Level of description

Fonds

Reference code

CA DRL OW.069

Edition area

Edition statement

Edition statement of responsibility

Class of material specific details area

Statement of scale (cartographic)

Statement of projection (cartographic)

Statement of coordinates (cartographic)

Statement of scale (architectural)

Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)

Dates of creation area

Date(s)

  • 1891-1990 (Creation)

Physical description area

Physical description

1.5 cm textual material
2 Still Images

Publisher's series area

Title proper of publisher's series

Parallel titles of publisher's series

Other title information of publisher's series

Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series

Numbering within publisher's series

Note on publisher's series

Archival description area

Name of creator

Administrative history

St Luke's Parish, Pembina Crossing, was officially formed 21 May 1892. Services, however, had been held as early as 1880. Some of the first ministers in the area included Rev. T. Wilson and Rev. J.N. Jones. The parish was organized locally on 10 October 1884 and regular services, led by Rev. E.P. Nicholl began. Worship was first held in homes before the congregation fitted up and converted an old Hudson's Bay Company store into a church in 1886. In 1920, the congregation decided a modern church building was required. The new church was soon built and opened 26 September 1920, only to burn down a year later. It was rebuilt in 1922 and opened on 27 August of that year. The church was consecrated on 14 September 1941. The altar was hand-carved by R.N. Lea out of timbers salvaged from a collapsed bridge that was over the Pembina River. It was later stolen and the present altar in the church came from St Alban, Snowflake after its closure in 1981. Following the death of Rev. Nicholl in 1902, St Luke received services from Snowflake (OW.088), along with Kaleida (OW.043) and Mowbray (OW.060). Regular services stopped sometime in the 1960s, but a Sunday School was maintained into the 1970s. The church remains open, however, for biannual services, such as weddings and funerals. Since 1966, St Luke, Pembina Crossing has been part of the Pembina Hills Parishes, along with along with St Barnabas, Altamont (OW.001); St Paul, Clearwater (OW.016); St Andrew, Crystal City (OW.019); St Mary, Kaleida (OW.043); St John the Baptist, Manitou (OW.051); St Matthew, New Haven (OW.064); and St John the Evangelist, Pilot Mound (OW.070). In 1990, following the departure of one clergyman (the parishes had previously been served by two fulltime ministers) the parishes undertook a Total Ministry program. Sixteen members of the parishes took courses that would enable them as lay readers to assist and at times lead in worship. On 23 February 1992, they were commissioned as lay ministers in a Commissioning Service held at St John the Baptist in Manitou. St Luke's does not have regular services and is not part of the ministerial rotation like most of the Pembina Hills Parishes. When special services are required, the priest will perform the ceremony.

Custodial history

Parish to Diocese in 1999.

Scope and content

The records of St Luke held at the Diocese include: Canonical Documents (1892-1941); Titles (1891-1894); Blueprints (1894); Record of Service Book (1915-1923); Still images (1984-1990); Research file.

Notes area

Physical condition

Immediate source of acquisition

Arrangement

Language of material

Script of material

Location of originals

The Canonical Documents, Titles, Blueprints and Research are held in the Upper Vault. The Record of Service Book is located in the Lower Vault. Still Images are filed by title in the Still Images collection.

Availability of other formats

Restrictions on access

Use of Parish Registers is limited to Archives staff.

Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication

Finding aids

Rural Parishes Finding Aid

Associated materials

Related material: See also "Thou Grand Old Church of England...in the Pembina Mountain Country: A Historical Synopsis with Special Reference to St Luke's Pembina Crossing on the Boundary Commission Trail" located in the St Luke Research File. See the Sacramental Registers of Snowflake (OW.088) for Baptism, Marriage and Burial entries pertaining to Pembina Crossing. See the records of Mowbray (OW.060) for the Record of Service Book.

Related materials

Accruals

Further accruals expected

Language of material note

English

Alternative identifier(s)

Standard number area

Standard number

Access points

Subject access points

Place access points

Name access points

Genre access points

Control area

Description record identifier

Institution identifier

Rules or conventions

Status

Level of detail

Dates of creation, revision and deletion

Language of description

  • English

Script of description

Sources

Accession area

Related subjects

Related people and organizations

Related places

Related genres