Fonds OW.068 - Peguis, All Saints/ St Peter/ St Matthew fonds

Title and statement of responsibility area

Title proper

Peguis, All Saints/ St Peter/ St Matthew fonds

General material designation

Parallel title

Other title information

Title statements of responsibility

Title notes

Level of description

Fonds

Reference code

CA DRL OW.068

Edition area

Edition statement

Edition statement of responsibility

Class of material specific details area

Statement of scale (cartographic)

Statement of projection (cartographic)

Statement of coordinates (cartographic)

Statement of scale (architectural)

Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)

Dates of creation area

Date(s)

  • 1912 - 1989 (Creation)

Physical description area

Physical description

38.5 cm textual material

Publisher's series area

Title proper of publisher's series

Parallel titles of publisher's series

Other title information of publisher's series

Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series

Numbering within publisher's series

Note on publisher's series

Archival description area

Name of creator

Administrative history

In 1907, the Saulteaux and Swampy Cree that built and worshipped at St Peter, Dynevor (OW.022) were moved to the Peguis Reserve, 90 miles northwest of Winnipeg. In 1911, The Rev Edward Thomas, a native missionary, conducted services in the local school house until a mission house was built at a central location on the Reserve that same year. The mission house was destroyed by fire shortly afterwards, but was soon replaced. The Peguis Reserve is served by three churches. St Matthew was built several miles south of the Mission House in 1922. Prior to the church's construction, worship had been held in the school house. By 1920, the congregation had grown so large that a church was needed. The South Peguis Woman's Auxiliary, founded in 1913 by Rev Maurice Sanderson's wife, made a substantial donation to the Church Building Fund. Two years later, St Matthew's Church was completed. The WA also furnished the building. St Peter's Church, built at Centre Peguis, was constructed in 1922. It was preceded by a small chapel built with the assistance of the All Saints Woman's Auxiliary, North Peguis. Around 1930, All Saints Church was built at North Peguis. This church building was moved to the Jackhead Reserve in 1964 and renamed St James. A new church was built that had a basement hall and central heating. In the late 1960's, the incumbent moved off the Reserve and the Mission House was eventually torn down. The Peguis Parishes have long been associated with St John, Fisherton (OW.029), St Philip, Hodgson (OW.040) and St James, Jackhead (OW.043).

Custodial history

Parish to Diocesan Archives in 1966; 1978; 1989; 1990; 1995; and 1998.

Scope and content

The records of the Peguis churches held at the Diocese of Rupert's Land Archives include: Canonical Documents (1938-1976); Blueprints (1922-1979); Titles ([1918]-1970); Sacramental registers (1912-1989); Record of Services (1931-1987); Records of the Vestry (1923-1932); and Records of the W.A. (1933-1938). Research file.

Notes area

Physical condition

Immediate source of acquisition

Arrangement

Language of material

Script of material

Location of originals

Availability of other formats

Registers are also available in microfilm. (Rolls 4 and 5)

Restrictions on access

Use of Parish Registers is limited to Archives staff.

Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication

Finding aids

Rural Parishes Finding Aid

Associated materials

Related material: See also the Manuscript Papers of Maurice Sanderson (M.34); Dynevor, St Peter (OW.022); Hodgson, St Philip (OW.040); Fisherton, St John (OW.029); the records of the W.A.; the Sam Waller Still Images Collection; and the Library collection, which includes the book Shall We Gather at the River by George Van der Goes Ladd (L.0189).

Associated material: Ecclesiastical Province of Rupert's Land (Acc: DRL-84-62; DRL-84-102)

Related materials

Accruals

Further accruals are expected.

Language of material note

English

Alternative identifier(s)

Standard number area

Standard number

Access points

Subject access points

Place access points

Name access points

Genre access points

Control area

Description record identifier

Institution identifier

Rules or conventions

Status

Level of detail

Dates of creation, revision and deletion

Language of description

  • English

Script of description

Sources

Accession area

Related subjects

Related people and organizations

Related places

Related genres