Fonds 1.4. 13 - Our Lady of the Assumption Church (Ashville, Man.) fonds

Title and statement of responsibility area

Title proper

Our Lady of the Assumption Church (Ashville, Man.) fonds

General material designation

Parallel title

Other title information

Title statements of responsibility

Title notes

Level of description

Fonds

Reference code

1.4. 13

Edition area

Edition statement

Edition statement of responsibility

Class of material specific details area

Statement of scale (cartographic)

Statement of projection (cartographic)

Statement of coordinates (cartographic)

Statement of scale (architectural)

Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)

Dates of creation area

Date(s)

  • 1902-1989 (Creation)

Physical description area

Physical description

1.5 cm : textual records

Publisher's series area

Title proper of publisher's series

Parallel titles of publisher's series

Other title information of publisher's series

Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series

Numbering within publisher's series

Note on publisher's series

Archival description area

Name of creator

Administrative history

Ashville is located near the junction of highways 5 and 10 in the Dauphin area. The church dates back at least to 1916 when parishioners requested permission to erect a Way of the Cross. Sacramental records were inegrated with those of Holy Trinity church at Sifton beginning in 1915. In 1921, church trustees wrote the Archdiocese requesting a priest, saying that they had had no services for almost two years. They referred to the church as Blessed Virgin Mary, not Our Lady of the Assumption. The trustees requested help to complete the church in 1929 and 1930. They also asked for a Polish bible and catechism lessons. Also about this time, there was some conflict between those Catholics who wanted a national Polish church and others who opposed the idea. In 1974, the priest sold the bell and the organ. Parishioners feared the church would be sold; however, the Archbishop replied that the building would not be sold and could be used for funerals and perhaps on the Feast of the Assumption.The final record available indicates that Mass and celebration were held on the Feast of the Assumption in 1989.

Custodial history

Textual records 1902-1915 were transferred from the Archdiocese of St. Boniface circa 1915.

Scope and content

The fonds consists primarily of correspondence created or received by the Arcdiocese of Winnipeg. It is arranged in four series: General Files (History, Correspondence, Parish Community, Financial/Legal, and Construction/Renovations); Property Files; Propety Titles; and Sacramental Records.

Notes area

Physical condition

Immediate source of acquisition

Arrangement

Language of material

Script of material

Location of originals

Availability of other formats

Restrictions on access

General copyright, institutional or legal restrictions may apply.

Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication

If permission is given for reproducton of material, the process is done by the archivist at an established cost per sheet.

Finding aids

None available

Associated materials

Related materials

Accruals

Alternative identifier(s)

Standard number area

Standard number

Access points

Subject access points

Place access points

Name access points

Genre access points

Control area

Description record identifier

Institution identifier

Rules or conventions

Status

Level of detail

Dates of creation, revision and deletion

Language of description

  • English

Script of description

Sources

Accession area

Related subjects

Related places

Related genres