Title and statement of responsibility area
Ochre River United Church fonds
General material designation
Other title information
Title statements of responsibility
Level of description
CA UCA Acc: 88 - 18
Edition statement of responsibility
Class of material specific details area
Statement of scale (cartographic)
Statement of projection (cartographic)
Statement of coordinates (cartographic)
Statement of scale (architectural)
Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)
Dates of creation area
1909 - 1980 (Creation)
Physical description area
50 cm textual material.
Publisher's series area
Title proper of publisher's series
Parallel titles of publisher's series
Other title information of publisher's series
Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series
Numbering within publisher's series
Note on publisher's series
Archival description area
Name of creator
Ochre River United Church has existed in the Manitoba community of Ochre River, located south of Dauphin Lake, since 1925. Its predecessor was Ochre River Methodist Church built in 1908, but a Presbyterian congregation, who held services in the Women's Institute Hall, also existed until 1922. When their services discontinued, many joined the Methodist congregation. At the time of formal union with the United Church of Canada in 1925, the Ochre River Methodist Church continued to be used for worship and the Pastoral charge included Dickson and Bay Centre. Bay Centre left in 1927 to be replaced by Laurier, which was part of the charge for only 2 years. Makinak joined the charge in 1927 as well, and remained until the formation of the Lakeside Pastoral charge in 1964. Turtle River was also included in the charge from 1946 to 1950. The church had electric lighting installed in 1941, and a new ceiling and eight stained glass windows were installed in 1954. In 1969, a basement was added to the church. Ochre River United Church was a part of the Lakeside Pastoral charge when it was formed in 1964, but it became a separate Pastoral charge in 2002.
The records of Ochre River United Church came to The United Church of Canada Archives-Conference of Manitoba and Northwestern Ontario as part of a transfer of records from the Lakeside Pastoral charge on May 24, 1988.
Scope and content
The records of Ochre River United Church held at the conference archives include: Sacramental registers pertaining to Baptisms (1909-1960), Marriages (1909-1949, 1953-1968), and Burials (1909-1964); Circuit registers (1932, 1936, 1937, and 1950); records of the Local Board/ Congregational Meetings (1924-1941); records of the congregation (1949-1966); records of the Trustees (1963); records of the Stewards (1956-1969); records of the Session (1960-1964, 1966); financial records (1945-1947); records of the Sunday School (1929-1980); and records of the Ladies Aid (1920-1966).
Immediate source of acquisition
Language of material
Script of material
Location of originals
Availability of other formats
Restrictions on access
Some limits on access to Baptism, Marriage and Burial Registers apply.
Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication
Item level inventory is available.
Related material: See also the records of the Lakeside Pastoral charge for further material pertaining to Ochre River United Church.
Further accruals are expected.
Standard number area
Subject access points
Place access points
Genre access points
Description record identifier
Rules or conventions
Level of detail
Dates of creation, revision and deletion
Language of description