Fonds BC-519 - Nord Kildonan, Nord Ende & Sued-Ende M.B. Churches: Conferences of Churches at Winnipeg. Jahresberichte. Springstein. Wpg. MB Church Directories Collection

Title and statement of responsibility area

Title proper

Nord Kildonan, Nord Ende & Sued-Ende M.B. Churches: Conferences of Churches at Winnipeg. Jahresberichte. Springstein. Wpg. MB Church Directories Collection

General material designation

Parallel title

Other title information

Title statements of responsibility

Title notes

Level of description

Fonds

Reference code

CA CMBS BC-519

Edition area

Edition statement

Edition statement of responsibility

Class of material specific details area

Statement of scale (cartographic)

Statement of projection (cartographic)

Statement of coordinates (cartographic)

Statement of scale (architectural)

Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)

Dates of creation area

Date(s)

  • 1907-1979 (Creation)

Physical description area

Physical description

11.5 cm of textual records

Publisher's series area

Title proper of publisher's series

Parallel titles of publisher's series

Other title information of publisher's series

Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series

Numbering within publisher's series

Note on publisher's series

Archival description area

Name of creator

Administrative history

The Mennonite presence in Winnipeg began in 1907 with a baptism of individuals who had met in homes for Bible study. A church building was obtained for this group in 1913 and moved to the North End. This group moved a number of times in the next twenty years. settling at McGregor and College in 1929 and at Elmwood on Henderson in 1954. Another group at Springstein began a building project for a meeting place in 1938. The North Kildonan congregation began in 1928 and built its first meeting place in 1929. This building was enlarged but in 1957 a new meeting place was built. The South End congregation began in 1928 on 95 Macdonald Street, then moved to Princess Street, then in 1933 to Ross Avenue, and officially organized as a congregation in 1936. A larger meeting place was purchased in 1940 on William Avenue. This congregation divided in 1960 and formed the Portage Avenue and Central congregations. The Gospel Light Mission, begun in 1949, became the Logan Avenue congregation in 1960 and later became the Salem congregation. At the same time, this mission spawned the Fort Rouge congregation in the 1950s and then in the 1960s the Fort Garry congregation. The River East congregation grew out of the North Kildonan congregation in the 1960s. The Brooklands congregation grew out of the South End congregation in 1957. The leaders of the North Kildonan congregation were: Herman Klassen (1930-1933), H.M. Janzen (1933-1937), Gerhard Epp (1938-1942), A. Heinrich Toews (1942-1950), I. W. Redekopp (1950-1953), William Falk (1953-1964), Victor Toews (1965), Wm. Neufeld (1966-1978), Roland Marsch (1979-1986), Victor Toews (1987), John Epp (1988-1993), Alvin Enns (1994), Johannes Stolz (1995-1998), Bob Marsch (1999), George Klassen (2000- ). The leaders of the North End congregation were: F. C. Thiessen (1941-1943), B. B. Fast (1944-1949), and D. D. Dürksen (1950-1953). The leaders of the South End congregation were: P. Kornelsen (1936-1946), H. H. Janzen (1947-1949), J. P. Neufeld (1950-1961), H. R. Baerg (1962).

Custodial history

The records were transferred to the Centre for M.B. Studies archives in Winnipeg, Manitoba in 1993.

Scope and content

This collection consists of minutes (1938), South End bulletins (1955) and membership directory (1956), a survey of the Greater Winnipeg area (1958), a history of the M.B. church in Winnipeg (1954), and compilations of clippings from various sources on the history of the M.B. churches in Winnipeg (1966). There are Winnipeg congregation directories (1973-1990). There are annual meeting minutes of the joint Winnipeg congregations (1932-1938).

Notes area

Physical condition

Immediate source of acquisition

Arrangement

Language of material

Script of material

Location of originals

Availability of other formats

Restrictions on access

No restrictions on access.

Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication

Finding aids

Series description and a file list is available.

Associated materials

Related materials

Accruals

Language of material note

Much German.

Alternative identifier(s)

Standard number area

Standard number

Access points

Subject access points

Place access points

Name access points

Genre access points

Control area

Description record identifier

Institution identifier

Rules or conventions

Status

Level of detail

Dates of creation, revision and deletion

Language of description

  • English

Script of description

Sources

Accession area

Related subjects

Related people and organizations

Related places

Related genres