Fonds OW.064 - New Haven, St Matthew fonds

Title and statement of responsibility area

Title proper

New Haven, St Matthew fonds

General material designation

Parallel title

Other title information

Title statements of responsibility

Title notes

Level of description

Fonds

Reference code

CA DRL OW.064

Edition area

Edition statement

Edition statement of responsibility

Class of material specific details area

Statement of scale (cartographic)

Statement of projection (cartographic)

Statement of coordinates (cartographic)

Statement of scale (architectural)

Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)

Dates of creation area

Date(s)

  • 1894-2003 (Creation)

Physical description area

Physical description

33 cm textual material
12 still images

Publisher's series area

Title proper of publisher's series

Parallel titles of publisher's series

Other title information of publisher's series

Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series

Numbering within publisher's series

Note on publisher's series

Archival description area

Name of creator

Biographical history

St Matthew's Parish, New Haven was formed 29 May 1897. The first recorded service, however, took place 17 February 1895. Services were conducted on alternating Sundays in the New Haven schoolhouse. A church was built in 1906 on land donated by C. Mills. The church was consecrated 2 December 1906. In 1919, more land was donated, this time from T.W. Shewfelt, for a cemetery. A community hall was built on church lands, which were purchased in 1928. By 1980, only special services were being held, in spring, summer and fall months only. In 1982, the church was put on a new foundation and repainted inside and out. Of note is the fact that St Matthew has never been wired for electricity. The hall was sold in the late 1980s and the land upon which it was built was sold in 1990. Since its formation, St Matthew has shared a priest with Manitou (OW.051) and Altamont (OW.001). Currently St Matthew, New Haven is one of the Pembina Hills Parishes, along with St Barnabas, Altamont (OW.001); St Paul, Clearwater (OW.016); St Andrew, Crystal City (OW.019); St Mary, Kaleida (OW.043); St John the Baptist, Manitou (OW.051); St Luke, Pembina Crossing (OW.069); and St John the Evangelist, Pilot Mound (OW.070). In 1990, following the departure of one clergyman (the parishes had previously been served by two fulltime ministers) the parishes undertook a Total Ministry program. Sixteen members of the parishes took courses that would enable them as lay readers to assist and at times lead in worship. On 23 February 1992, they were commissioned as lay ministers in a Commissioning Service held at St John the Baptist in Manitou. New Haven does not have regular services and is not part of the ministerial rotation like most of the Pembina Hills Parishes. When special services are required, the priest will perform the ceremony.

Custodial history

Parish to Diocese in 1984 and 2006.

Scope and content

The records of St Matthew, New Haven held at the Diocese include: Canonical Documents (1894-1919); Titles (1906-1919); Blueprints and Plans; Sacramental Registers (1922-2003); Record of Service Books (1895-1919); Vestry Minutes (1957-1981); Cash Books (1905-1959); Financial Records (1960-1980); Sunday School Records (1933-1954); Cemetery Records (1935-2003); Community Hall Minutes and Accounts (1929-1990); Parish Leaflet (1906); History of the Woman's Auxiliary (W.A.) (1938-1961); Minutes of Annual Meetings (1903-1945); W.A. Minutes (1917-1972); W.A. Financial Summaries (1912-1936); W.A. Record of Attendance (1917-1942); W.A. Roll Call (1942-1972); W.A. Subscription and Membership (1912-1914); W.A. Receipts and Expenses (1919-1972); Dorcas Society (1947-1969); Still images; Research file.

Notes area

Physical condition

Immediate source of acquisition

Arrangement

Language of material

Script of material

Location of originals

Canonical Documents and Titles are held in the Upper Vault. The Sacramental Register, remaining files and bound volumes are stored in the Lower Vault. Still images are filed by title in the Still Image Collection.

Availability of other formats

Restrictions on access

Use of Parish Registers is limited to Archives staff.

Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication

Finding aids

Rural Parishes Finding Aid

Associated materials

Related material: See also the Sacramental Registers of St John the Baptist, Manitou (OW.051).

Related materials

Accruals

Further accruals are expected.

Language of material note

English

Alternative identifier(s)

Standard number area

Standard number

Access points

Subject access points

Place access points

Name access points

Genre access points

Control area

Description record identifier

Institution identifier

Rules or conventions

Status

Level of detail

Dates of creation, revision and deletion

Language of description

  • English

Script of description

Sources

Accession area

Related subjects

Related people and organizations

Related places

Related genres