National Council of Women - Brandon Chapter

Identity area

Type of entity

Corporate body

Authorized form of name

National Council of Women - Brandon Chapter

Parallel form(s) of name

  • Brandon Council of Women

Standardized form(s) of name according to other rules

Other form(s) of name

Identifiers for corporate bodies

CA

Description area

Dates of existence

1895-1927, 1952-c.1973

History

The Brandon Council of Women was a chapter of the National Council of Women. It was a non-partisan, non-sectarian organization. The original Brandon Council of Women was established in 1895 by Mrs. D. MacEwan. It was later disbanded in 1927. In 1952 the council was reorganized by Mrs. R.G. Ritchie, Mrs. Kaye Rowe, Mrs. Marion Doig and Mrs. Hortense Wood. The documents in this fonds pertain to the re-established Brandon Council of Women. The Brandon Council of Women worked as a unified body for approximately fifty other committee groups and represented approximately 2600 women. These groups included Women’s Church groups, charity groups, clubs, and associations. They aimed to focus primarily on social, legal, and political issues concerning Canadian women at civic, provincial, and national levels. The council worked as a federation made up of representatives from different groups as well as containing its own subcommittees. Subcommittees included education; health; social welfare and housing; laws; trades and professions; arts, music and film; recreation; and citizenship. They were concerned with children’s education, public literacy, and the preservation of local history. Along with its many social outreach projects, volunteering, and charity work, the Council of Women was also concerned with sponsoring women’s involvement in politics, such as members of public office, school board representatives, and judges. The known presidents of the council are as follows: Mrs. W.A Wood (1953-1954), Mrs. A. McPhail (1955-1957), Mrs. B. Thordarson (1958--), Edythe Wood (1963-1964), Mrs. G.H. MacNeill (1964-), Eileen McFadden (1968--1969), Mrs. Margaret Workman (1970--) The organization remained active until c. 1973.

Places

Legal status

Functions, occupations and activities

Mandates/sources of authority

Internal structures/genealogy

General context

Relationships area

Access points area

Occupations

Control area

Authority record identifier

DHM

Institution identifier

Rules and/or conventions used

Status

Draft

Level of detail

Dates of creation, revision and deletion

Language(s)

Script(s)

Sources

Maintenance notes

  • Clipboard

  • Export

  • EAC