Nakina United Church

Identity area

Type of entity

Person

Authorized form of name

Nakina United Church

Parallel form(s) of name

Standardized form(s) of name according to other rules

Other form(s) of name

Identifiers for corporate bodies

Description area

Dates of existence

History

Nakina United Church existed in the northwestern Ontario community of Nakina, located 320 kilometres north of the city of Thunder Bay, Ontario, from 1927 to 1966. It first appears in the United Church of Canada Yearbook in 1927 as part of the Cochrane Presbytery of the Toronto Conference. At this time, Nakina is listed as part of the Hearst Pastoral charge with Hazel. Rev. J.A. Irwin was the first United minister. In 1931, Armstrong appeared as a preaching point of Nakina, but presumably they were together before that date. A service to receive all Charter members to Nakina United Church was held on June 15, 1930. In 1965, Nakina and Armstrong were transferred to the Superior Presbytery of the Conference of Manitoba and Northwestern Ontario, but were no longer part of the same Pastoral charge. Nakina was part of the Beardmore Pastoral charge for about a year, until a motion from the Presbytery to request that Nakina be served by the Anglican Church was made on February 25, 1966. It appears that services for Nakina United Church had been held in a portable building, which was put up for sale after it officially became part of the jurisdiction of the Anglican Church of Canada on July 1, 1966.

Places

Legal status

Functions, occupations and activities

Mandates/sources of authority

Internal structures/genealogy

General context

Relationships area

Access points area

Occupations

Control area

Authority record identifier

Institution identifier

Rules and/or conventions used

Status

Level of detail

Dates of creation, revision and deletion

Language(s)

Script(s)

Sources

Maintenance notes

  • Clipboard

  • Export

  • EAC