Fonds Acc: 1996-04-10; 2005-28; 2005-41; 95-10-34; 2005-30; 2016-18. - The Mother's Union fonds

Title and statement of responsibility area

Title proper

The Mother's Union fonds

General material designation

Parallel title

Other title information

Title statements of responsibility

Title notes

Level of description


Reference code

CA DRL Acc: 1996-04-10; 2005-28; 2005-41; 95-10-34; 2005-30; 2016-18.

Edition area

Edition statement

Edition statement of responsibility

Class of material specific details area

Statement of scale (cartographic)

Statement of projection (cartographic)

Statement of coordinates (cartographic)

Statement of scale (architectural)

Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)

Dates of creation area


  • 1938 - 2000 (Creation)

Physical description area

Physical description

1cm textual material (Note: unprocessed material exists).
1 artifact.

Publisher's series area

Title proper of publisher's series

Parallel titles of publisher's series

Other title information of publisher's series

Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series

Numbering within publisher's series

Note on publisher's series

Archival description area

Name of creator

Administrative history

The Mother's Union is a world-wide organization which focuses on family life, prayer and service. The first Canadian Branch was started in London, Ontario by a Mrs. Boomer in September of 1888 at Cronyn Memorial Church. The first Branch in Western Canada was formed in Winnipeg by Mrs. A.C. Frith in September of 1905 at All Saints Church. Mrs. C.C. Chipman was appointed Enrolling Member and Mrs. Firth was the Secretary Treasurer. Mrs. Chipman would later become the first Diocesan President. The first Diocesan meeting was held Nov. 5, 1909. By 1910 there were 10 branches of the Mother's Union in Winnipeg. The Treasurer became a separate officer in 1913. A Central Council for Canada headquartered in Winnipeg, to be known as the Canadian Dominion Council, was proposed in 1914. When the new council was eventually established in 1926, Mrs. S.P. Matheson was elected the first president. Mrs. Philip Jomini became Secretary in 1928. The Canadian Dominion Council headquarters moved to Toronto in 1935. By 2000, only St. James the Assiniboine (W.022) and St. Stephen's (W.039) churches had an active Mother's Union group.

Custodial history

The records of the Mother's Union came to the archives as part of several transfers of records in 1995; 1996; and 2005.

Scope and content

The records of the Mother's Union held at the Diocese of Rupert's Land archives include: "Historical Review" (1938); research/newspaper clippings [1967] – 2000; and a beaded medallion.

Notes area

Physical condition

Immediate source of acquisition


Language of material

Script of material

Location of originals

Availability of other formats

Restrictions on access

No restrictions on access.

Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication

Finding aids

Item level inventory is available.

Associated materials

Related material: References to The Mother's Union can be found in the Rupert's Land News. See also the Manuscript papers of Miriam Jomini (M.22); and W.023 Winnipeg, St. John the Baptist; W.034 Winnipeg, St. Patrick;W.029 Winnipeg, St. Martin – in- the- Fields; and W.008 Winnipeg, St. Alban. Pamphlet collection: "The Mother's Union Service Book" (1948) and "Why Me?" by B. Flint.

Related materials


Further accruals are expected.

Language of material note

The material is in English.

Alternative identifier(s)

Standard number area

Standard number

Access points

Subject access points

Place access points

Name access points

Genre access points

Control area

Description record identifier

Institution identifier

Rules or conventions


Level of detail

Dates of creation, revision and deletion

Language of description

  • English

Script of description


Accession area

Related subjects

Related people and organizations

Related places

Related genres