Fonds 2-2002 - Minnedosa Women's Institute Collection

Title and statement of responsibility area

Title proper

Minnedosa Women's Institute Collection

General material designation

Parallel title

Other title information

Title statements of responsibility

Title notes

Level of description

Fonds

Reference code

CA MCK 2-2002

Edition area

Edition statement

Edition statement of responsibility

Class of material specific details area

Statement of scale (cartographic)

Statement of projection (cartographic)

Statement of coordinates (cartographic)

Statement of scale (architectural)

Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)

Dates of creation area

Date(s)

  • 1914-1981 (Creation)

Physical description area

Physical description

30 cm textual records

Publisher's series area

Title proper of publisher's series

Parallel titles of publisher's series

Other title information of publisher's series

Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series

Numbering within publisher's series

Note on publisher's series

Archival description area

Name of creator

Administrative history

The Minnedosa Women's Institute was one of the first Women's Institutes in Manitoba. The group was created on November 11, 1910, and was called the Home Economics Society until 1919, when all Home Economics Societies in Manitoba became branches of the Manitoba Women's Institute. The first president of the Minnedosa Women's Institute was Mrs. Andrew Boyd. Some early projects of the group included building a rest room and the maintenance of a country women's ward in the Minnedosa Hospital. The group also worked for the war effort during both world wars, including sewing and knitting, as well as sending clothing and food overseas. During the 1920's, the Institute held a number of baby clinics, and during the 1930's opened a lending library. The Institute also participated with other community projects and groups such as 4-H and the film council. The Minnedosa branch is no longer active, however the Basswood Women's Institute is active in the Minnedosa area.

Custodial history

This collection was accessioned by the McKee Archives in 2002. Previous custodial history is unknown.

Scope and content

This collection includes many records from the Minnedosa Women's Institute such as the group's constitution, and the meeting minutes from 1914-1981. The collection also contains financial records from 1932-1955. There are two scrapbooks about the Minnedosa Women's Institute, with the first running from 1910-60 and the second running from 1960-80. The scrapbooks contain pictures, clippings, and stories. There is also a scrapbook dedicated to Minnedosa Village History, which covers the years 1878-1956. Finally, this collection includes the Certificate of Organization for the Minnedosa Women's Institute, which is dated October 20, 1922, althought the group was established in 1910.

Notes area

Physical condition

Immediate source of acquisition

Arrangement

Language of material

Script of material

Location of originals

McKee Archives, Brandon, MB

Availability of other formats

Restrictions on access

None

Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication

None

Finding aids

N/A as of February 2002

Associated materials

Related material: There are six related collections in the McKee Archives, including the Manitoba Women's Institute Collection, the Clanwilliam Women's Institute Collection, the Cordova Women's Institute Collection, the Crocus Women's Institute Collection, Rathwell Women's Institute Collection, and Strathclair Women's Institute Collection.

Related materials

Accruals

Edition

This collection includes three scrapbooks.

Language of material note

English

Alternative identifier(s)

Standard number area

Standard number

Access points

Place access points

Name access points

Genre access points

Control area

Description record identifier

Institution identifier

Rules or conventions

Status

Level of detail

Dates of creation, revision and deletion

Language of description

  • English

Script of description

Sources

Accession area