Title and statement of responsibility area
Middlechurch, St Paul fonds
General material designation
Other title information
Title statements of responsibility
Level of description
CA DRL OW.057
Edition statement of responsibility
Class of material specific details area
Statement of scale (cartographic)
Statement of projection (cartographic)
Statement of coordinates (cartographic)
Statement of scale (architectural)
Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)
Dates of creation area
1850 - 2002 (Creation)
Physical description area
37 cm textual material and photographs
8 still images
8 still images
Publisher's series area
Title proper of publisher's series
Parallel titles of publisher's series
Other title information of publisher's series
Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series
Numbering within publisher's series
Note on publisher's series
Archival description area
Name of creator
Rev David Jones built a wooden church north of the overcrowded St John's Church, Winnipeg, in 1824 in an area known at that time as Image Plain. In 1824, the population consisted mainly of Selkirk settlers and retired Hudson's Bay Company employees. The church was given the name St Paul and opened for services 20 January 1825. It was also known as "Middlechurch" because it is situated between St John (Upper Church) and St. Andrew (Lower Church). The 1826 flood badly damaged the windows, pews and pulpit of St Paul's church. Rev Jones, however, continued to hold services in the destroyed church. A new church was built in 1844 during the tenure of Rev William Cockran, who was also in charge of the churches at St John and St Andrew. This new church, however, was destroyed during the flood of 1852. Despite its extensive damage, St Paul was consecrated the following year after much debate over denominational proprietorship of the church. Many of St Paul's early communicants had been Presbyterian, and were attending St Paul's because it was only one of two churches in the Red River Settlement offering Presbyterian worship. After much controversy, St Paul was finally consecrated in the Anglican tradition on 6 January 1853. Construction of a third St Paul's church, under the supervision of local carpenter, William Bunn, began in 1875. Bunn died before the church was completed and so the job was turned over to carpenter, Alfred Sellick, plasterer, Andrew Forbes and painter, George Campbell. The church opened for service on October 3, 1878. A tower was added in the 1880s. This church underwent major renovations in the 1960s. In 1965 the church was moved from the cemetery onto a new foundation in the Rectory grounds. A basement was dug and the front entrance was altered to include side wings for the new parish hall. The interior was renovated at this time as well. From 1949 â" 1987, St. Paul's did not have its own full-time minister, often sharing with the neighbouring parishes of St Anne, St Martin-in-the-Fields, and St Andrew. It became part of the River North Parish Group in 1972 which included the churches of St Catherine (OW.008), St Anne (W.011) , St Martin-in-the-Fields (W.029) and St Barnabas (W.012). this grouping lasted until 1986. The church was designated a Provincial Heritage Site in 1975.
Parish to Diocesan Archives in 1984 and 1998.
Scope and content
The fonds consists of Canonical Documents (1852-1919); Titles (1893-2001); Maps and Plans (1886-2002); Sacramental registers (1850-1960); Minutes of Vestry (1866-1907,1938-1987); Record of Services (1903-1916, 1943-1998); records of the Senior WA (1901-1966); records of the WA Branch of the Missionary Society of Rupert's Land (1927-1962); Minutes of the WA Evening Branch (1959-1970); Minutes of the WA Afternoon Branch (1963-1967); WA Cash Book (1964-1974); records of the Solicitor (1930-1958); Electromagnetic Ground Conductivity Studies; Preacher's Book (1880-1889); Burial records; photographs; and research.
Immediate source of acquisition
These have been arranged thematically and chronologically. The boxes have been given temporary identification numbers until all the parish records have been processed.
Language of material
Script of material
Location of originals
Availability of other formats
Parish Registers are on Microfilm: Rolls 6 -7
Restrictions on access
Use of Parish registers is restricted to Archives staff.
Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication
Rural Parish Finding Aid
Related material: River North Parish Group fonds.
Further accruals are expected.
Language of material note
Standard number area
Subject access points
Place access points
Name access points
- River North Parishes (Subject)
Genre access points
Description record identifier
Rules or conventions
Level of detail
Dates of creation, revision and deletion
Language of description