Title and statement of responsibility area
Miami Methodist Church fonds
General material designation
Other title information
Title statements of responsibility
Level of description
CA UCA Acc: 87-51
Edition statement of responsibility
Class of material specific details area
Statement of scale (cartographic)
Statement of projection (cartographic)
Statement of coordinates (cartographic)
Statement of scale (architectural)
Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)
Dates of creation area
Physical description area
5 cm textual material.
Publisher's series area
Title proper of publisher's series
Parallel titles of publisher's series
Other title information of publisher's series
Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series
Numbering within publisher's series
Note on publisher's series
Archival description area
Name of creator
Miami Methodist Church existed in the Manitoba community of Miami, located northwest of Morden in the Rural Municipality of Thompson, from 1889 to 1924. In 1885, Methodists were gathering for church services in a log school on J. Blair's farm. The area was a preaching point of Morden. In 1889, under Rev. T. Lawson, congregants met, discussed, and built a Methodist church. It was 24' x 40', cost $1,025, and opened in December. A Sunday School opened three years later. In 1895 the Miami Circuit (Mission) consisted of Miami, Rosebank, Nelson (Belmont), and Morton. Clegg and Roseisle joined shortly after. A fire that year destroyed many records. By 1906 the church debt was paid and the church was enlarged and remodelled at a cost of $490. A Local Union was formed in 1924 that included Miami Presbyterian, Miami Methodist, Rosebank Presbyterian, Agar Methodist, and Dunstan Methodist Churches. In 1925, Miami Methodist Church officially joined the United Church of Canada and became part of Miami United Church.
The records of Miami Methodist Church came to The United Church of Canada Archives-Conference of Manitoba and Northwestern Ontario as part of a transfer of records from the Miami Pastoral charge in 1987.
Scope and content
The records of Miami Methodist Church held at the conference archives include: Sacramental register pertaining to Baptisms (1891-1910), Marriages (1890-1911), and Burials (1890-1907); circuit register (1890-1924); records of the Quarterly Board (1893-1924); Board of Trustees (1905-1921); records of the Ladies Aid (1898-1924); and history (1889-1925).
Immediate source of acquisition
Language of material
Script of material
Location of originals
Availability of other formats
Restrictions on access
No restrictions on access.
Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication
Item level inventory is available.
Related material: See also the Private Register of William R. Hughes for other material pertaining to Miami Methodist Church.
Associated material: The Miami Museum also holds records for Miami Methodist Church.
No further accruals are expected.
Standard number area
Subject access points
Place access points
Name access points
- Rev. William R. Hughes (Subject)
Genre access points
Description record identifier
Rules or conventions
Level of detail
Dates of creation, revision and deletion
Language of description